PDA

View Full Version : Anderson door repair help.

outdoorsnow
05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
I need to repair some Anderson sliding doors. Door were maunfactured in 1993 and have been delaminating along the bottoms. Doors are out of warranty and Andersons only solution is to replace all the sections, which is quite expensive. I figured someone has run into this problen before and may have some ideas.

James Eggert
05-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Technically, it never pays to replace sections versus replacing the complete door assembly. By the time you change them out, adjust reveals, adjust again, etc, you can yank'em out and replace it completely!

outdoorsnow
05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
If I'm replacing it will not be Anderson. Their customer service has been terriable. I have gotten very little help from them. I'v attempted contacting their local rep through my supplier and have had no success. As far as I'm concerned these shouldn't have done this.

BigLou80
05-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Andersen sucks, at least that my view after having just installed three of thier sliders. I suspect these doors will do the same thing, they are not sealed completly on the bottom. I agree with James just replace the entire set up and be done with it

Lou

RMcSlash
05-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Let's vent on Anderson, another company getting by on extensive upscale marketing. I have never liked their product, labor intensive, and poor quality control, hit and miss atttention to detail.

Ed Michnick
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
If I'm replacing it will not be Anderson. Their customer service has been terriable. I have gotten very little help from them. I'v attempted contacting their local rep through my supplier and have had no success. As far as I'm concerned these shouldn't have done this.

A new client of mine has 17yr old Andersen windows. One of their windows had fogged up. I was able to call Andersen, gave them the info they needed, and recieved a new window with-in five business days. I think the problem your getting from them is that the doors are older than 20 yrs and are not under warranty any longer.

Looks like the best way to go is to replace the whole unit, like Jim mentioned

outdoorsnow
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
There is no doubt the doors are out of warranty (by 4 years). I believe this is excessive deteriation. The facing is a paper product on the exterior. I have 6 pannels doing this samething. Andersons staff seens to take personal offence when I call to question why these are doing this. You'd think I'm attacking their mother. I can't believe a large company like Anderson would ever use this type of exterior coating.

Bill Robinson
06-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Let's not let this deteriorate into a bashing exercise.
What have you done to get a rep to look at them?

If you can't get someone to look at them I am sure we can take care of that.

Bill R

always-learning
06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Glass : 20 years

All other parts: 10 years

http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf%0D%0AContent-Disposition%3A+inline%3B+filename%3DAndersen.pdf%3 B&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1176762778058&ssbinary=true

James Eggert
06-01-2007, 08:41 AM
That's just it, the age of the doors and the materials in vogue at the time are now having age problems. I have some Andersen doors from 95 which are in fine shape, and I have clients with older units also. Although rare to deteriorate, the units exceeded their warranty period by 10 years as it is!

Climate, useage, exposure...all create a different situation.

I do tend to think just from your posts you think Andersen should cut you some slack and replace these??? I don't see that happening. But also keep in mind you are dealing with someone sitting in front of a computer...they read the answers and what they say you don't like.

Understand this..as long as the replacement sashes or doors are not free, as in this case, it pays to replace them with current stock with better window glazing, such as low-e 2 argon, etc.

By the way, although I still use Andersen depending on the project, I tend to order Marvin Integrity series for a lot of work!!

outdoorsnow
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I've attempted to get a rep to look at these doors by calling Anderson directly four different times. I've also left notes with my local supplies to have the rep contact me when he is in town. He has contacted me but refused to take a look at them since they were out of warranty.
Does anyone have any repair techniques, or materials they have used to succesfuly repair such a problem. It appears my only option may be to replace them.

outdoorsnow
06-01-2007, 08:49 AM
here are couple more pic's

Bill Robinson
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
A few clarifying questions ods:

Are these yours?

Why do you think the doors should have a warranty beyond the one initially provided?

What else are you not telling us?

Bill R

JMS BUILDERS
06-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I agree with Bill this one smells like HO all over it. However for the quality and price I mave fallen in love with Simonton and Marvin great stull

Snow go buy new quality doors you'll sleep better at night

outdoorsnow
06-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I am a homeowner not a renter, and I hope many of you are the same. Expecially if your a contractor. I am also a Contractor. Imagine that a contractor who works on their own home. I believe that my home says alot about the quality of work I provide. These are my personal doors. I take great pride in maintaining and improving my home. Everyone seems to get on the HO's. I don't believe these doors should be under warranty. People keep posting Andersons warranty which I am and have been quite aware of. If you would read my initial post you would see I was looking for any one experiencing the same problem, or have repaired a similar problem. There may be some products or materials I haven't used or heard about. I was simply using this forum to gain any type of knowledge. If anyone seens to think I am missleading or not telling the entire story I would like to hear from you. I do not appologize for being a homeowner. We've all seen the roofer who can't roof their own home and the general who can't finish a personal project.
Thanks,
(I'd rather be) Outdoors now

Bill Robinson
06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
The general concept here is to promote the highest level of construction practice possible.
Generally this forum if meant for people actively doing construction work for a living.
Homeowners doing DIY projects are encouraged to look at other sites for guidance.
This is because as someone employed in construction should attempt to deliver the highest level of work/service possible a homeowner, while also wanting that level of work has, by their actions, indicated something else.

In your case, the highest level is to replace the doors with new. They have served their promise. It looks as though these doors delaminated partly because moisture has gotten into the wood and pushed the exterior finish away. This is a maintenance thing and not necessarily the responsibility of the manufacturer.

Nothing against homeowners, we need them for our livelihoods.
A question for you:
Do you contract in your free time or do you fight fires and save lives in your free time?
If you had to do only one, which would it be?

Replace the doors, it is the right thing to do for your client whether it is you or someone else.
I do not want to discourage you from posting on this site if you do contracting in your time off. It is important we support good work. However, it seems obvious to me this project has slipped into the DIY category.
How about a discussion on how to replace these with new?
Bill R

always-learning
06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Mr. Outdoorsnow

I thought that you were outdoor snow.... not outdoors now.

Since these are indeed your doors, I suggest this.

1. Remove the siding surrounding the door.
2. Inspect the flashing techniques and see if the water is infiltrating the frame itself. If the flashing wasn't installed properly, then the frame is most likely also in need of repair.

At this point.... You should just order new doors and replace them. Anderson, Marvin.....Jeld-wen...... Whomever.

If you choose to NOT replace the doors, then you can use a 2 part filler, sand and paint the repair..... bondo is a good brand of repair for such a situation. This is only a temporary fix. The moisture issue is your real problem. I personally do not like the height of the decking in comparison to the installed height of the door.

I personally believe that any entrance into a home should have a minimum of 7 1/2" of height between the door sill and the exterior landing. Without this step down, it's an invitation to allow rain, snow and ice build-up to enter the door frame. .... even if properly flashed.

How about elaborating on your contractor business....work? And a name to address you would also be nice.

Dick Seibert
06-02-2007, 11:57 AM
That generation of Andersen doors was clad in vinyl, they have abandoned that practice and now coat their Frenchwood Door series with some kind or epoxy paint. I bought Andersen's when they were all wood, stopped buying them when the put the plastic cladding on them, and resumed buying them when they abandoned the plastic cladding and started painting them. They have learned from their mistakes and I give them credit for that, anybody buying a plastic product of any kind and expecting it to last longer than 15 years deserves what they get. JFYI, they still plastic clad their windows, but not their doors, so I rarely use their windows, just their 400 series slider because there is nothing comparable not he market, I just tell people that the cladding will come off the window and I'll come back and repair it by stripping the plastic all off and painting.

Take the doors and scrape off the loose cladding, take something like a Festool Rotex sander and attempt to grind off the remaining plastic and paint the doors.

McFish
06-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I've had good luck dealing with Andersen. I think the main thing is finding a dealer who's been around for a while and has good rapport with their service dept. But like Dick said they did come out with some lines that were just crap and they dont have a reasonable solution for. I had to deal with them over some doors similar to yours and in the end the local dealer paid for the labor to have them replaced, just to save face, even though they were out of warranty like yours.

I just rebuilt some crappy peachtree doors for a friend who would rather pay me than have them replaced, even though it would have been a bit cheaper to get new ones.

Good luck

Tom

JMS BUILDERS
06-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Mr outdoorsnow please don't take offense to our inquisitiveness on your particular scenario. These forums are for proffesionals and those that pretend. However the best solutions to your problem was offered free of charge i might add less the cost of your subscription which is cheaper than most proffesional consultations i might add, When one beats a dead horse one might wonder what one's intentions truly are. Possibly a different approach to your local rep may prove fruitful, ie; I don't expect you to pay for it but can you suggest any remidie to the problem before us? if still no assistance can be attained you have a choice live with it or replace with a product whose customer service is more to your liking.

Good luck

Lavrans
06-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Just to chime in; it doesn't look like there's a roof over those doors. Without a good roof I wouldn't expect any door to last much more than 15-20 years no matter how good the maintenance is on it. Even a substantial eave overhang won't help that much.

At this point you could follow Dick's suggestion to strip the exterior cladding but what really is important is the condition of the wood at the bottom of the door & the condition of the frame- they are generally of lesser quality than the door & will deteriorate faster. I'd lean toward replacing them.

Another tact to take with Anderson is to go up the food chain. While the person on the phone may dismiss you, a VP probably won't. Especially as a contractor and, therefore, an integral part of their business. Try bypassing the phone bank & get a list of the officers- you might get it from a shareholder's report, or maybe the web might reveal some. Send in a letter & you should be able to get a rep out there.