PDA

View Full Version : Hardiplank installation instructions

jenbes
10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Is there more in depth instructions for installing Hardiplank, other than what is posted on their website?

Thanks,

Sarah

meangene
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Who wants to be first?

Mark Parlee
11-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Why do you ask

bkerley
11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
It comes with instructions?

NW Architect
11-06-2006, 12:00 PM
The extensive online instructions are the same as the printed instructions that (sometimes) come with the shipment. They are all for above ground installation.

In depth instructions for installation in mines are published by the coal industry. In depth instructions for underwater work are a MIL spec published by the US Navy.

jenbes
11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Thank you for your answers.
I was going to spare the details... but since you asked... I was asking about the installation instructions because we are building a new home and the builder botched the hardiplank (colorplus in khaki) installation so bad. He didn't using joint flashing cards and couldn't find matching caulk for the joints so he used paintable caulk... which is not paintable and has stained the siding white. If I had known my house was going to look like a zebra, I would have gotten vinyl siding!
At any rate, I was trying to determine if the siding should be replaced or if we could get away with painting it. We've had a few professional look at it and they have given differing opinions, so I figured if I read the instructions myself it might help me determine the appropriate route.

Thanks!

Bill Robinson
11-06-2006, 08:14 PM
So, to put this one to bed let me suggest you contact your local Hardie rep and let them guide you through the decision process.

The installation guides are for installation and not necessarily for mismatched colors.

This is a site for pro-to-pro peer-to-peer and not set up to address these concerns.

You can find your local rep by following the instructions om the Hardie web site.

Good luck ta' ya'

Bill R

jenbes
11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Yes, i've done that. But i've found out that the Hardiplank boys have a veted interesting in protecting the builder.

The mismatched colors are just a sample of what we are told was done wrong.

The problem here is, we've had "professionals" who have told us the siding was installed wrong, and some who have told us it was installed correctly. Who are we supposed to believe?

One professional told us there was a 100 page installation document, which I haven't been able to find any information on. That is why I asked this forum. It would seem that I would find an unbiased information on a site like this. That is why I asked.

Thanks for your time.

Mark Parlee
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Sarah

I sent you a PM with my info and direct email

Did you get it?

Mark
www.parleebuilders.com

Dick Seibert
11-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Mark:

Is there a 100-page installation manual? If such a thing exists I could sure use it. A case (http://www.dickseibert.com/siding.gif) I'm working on now, architect designed, union carpenter installed! The building is a student dormitory, the piles are at the yard where it was purchased, they are calling it "Chalk Board" now, just like the old asbestos siding it replicates. BTW, I did a huge job as a foreman carpenter in the 50s on several student housing projects with asbestos fiber siding, this fibercement looks just like it. Ignore the red and gray color casts, they appeared when the JPEGs were converted to GIFs for the program, but they do indicate flaws in the painting with transparencies.. Carpenters just can't install the stuff around here.

Mark Parlee
11-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Dick

Not that I am aware of.

You know that a lot of the Hardie is being put on in a manner other than that which will yeild good results, that stand the test of time, we have discussed this issue before, and it keeps coming up. And it still will, for as long as people build.
There is always some smooth talking shyster somewhere to put out a good story, and some gullible price shopping tire kicking consumer ready to be sold. That is one of our biggest problem in this business

I am always trying to educate the public in my sphere of influence. Today I heard through a friend of mine that someone in that sphere thinks I am an arrogant sob. This bothers me to some extent but at least my friend stuck up for me and said “Hey he is not a sob”
I am thankful for my friends

I did find an instruction manual I hadn’t seen before
It is for Europe, only two pages, must be easier over there
http://www.jameshardieeu.com/downloads/hplank_howtos_en.pdf

Here is a sixteen page tech sheet from the same
http://www.jameshardieeu.com/downloads/hplank_fixingmanual_en.pdf

And here is the one for the USA. Only four pages. Where are the other 96?
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/hardiplankinstall.pdf
Same one that comes wrapped with the product

Mark

James Eggert
11-08-2006, 07:03 AM
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/faq.php?faq=faq_item_policies#faq_faq_item_pro_onl y

"It would seem that I would find an unbiased information on a site like this. That is why I asked."

Unfortunately, that is not why we are here. This forum is to discuss issues, procedures and products between ourselves in order to improve our businesses and services. We are not here as a consumer advocate site!! There are other sites which do have an open type policy, and they do a pretty good job of helping out homeowners and we are glad they do help!

It's not that we don't care....we don't have the time to be a crutch for the world as we solve our own dilemas!

Mark Parlee
11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks, Jim

Sarah

After you read through the link that Jim posted for you, you will see what the terms of this forum are, and why I offered to help through direct email.

In order for that to happen you have to do what I asked, send me an email with pictures and a description of all that has went on.

Mark

Bill Robinson
11-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks Mark.
I will consider this one done.

Sarah you are fortunate there are good builders like Mark here.

Take him up on his offer so we can stick to the already-established protocol here.
There is a many-page install manual available.

I will try and remember to ask the Hardie folks here at the show.

Bill R
MEAN Bill R