PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Lenox "Gold" blades yet?

eschoendorff
02-27-2006, 07:18 PM
I just got a couple in the mail... one for the sawzall and one for my utility knife. Haven't tried them yet; just wondering if anyone else has any opinions...

dustinmckay
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't know if the difference is that great. I bought some of the 10" wood blades because I was notching a bunch of 6x6 ACQ lumber, and they didn't seem to last much longer.

I'm waiting for my free samples to try the utility knife blades. A 100 pack of Stanley lasts me 6months or so, and I can't imagine the Lenox would last much longer.

VTNorm
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
I bought a box of 50 for my utility knife, used about half. I use them for everything; drywall, FRP panels, pencil sharpening. Can't say I notice a big enough difference to go out of my way to buy them again.

-Norm

littlebluetruck
02-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Irwin blue blade. I definitely notice it.

RobertCDF
02-27-2006, 10:16 PM
I have tried the utility blades before and did not like them very much. Not worth the extra cost IMO.

Greg Di
02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
The longest lasting blade for me is the one that's cheapest, because when they are cheap, I am more likely to toss a dull one, thus I always have a sharp one.

Don't you just feel a little better whenever you make the first cut with a new blade...all warm and fuzzy.

tom dickey
02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
I have the gold razor blades but only keep them in my folding knife I keep in my pocket,use the stanleys for roofing and drywall.

tom d

eschoendorff
02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Glad I asked. I have used cheapies in the past and was wondering if the higher-tech blades were anything to get excited about. Maybe I'll try some of those Irwin blue blades...

dgbldr
03-01-2006, 12:33 AM
I tried both the Irwin and Lenox utility knife blades. Both more durable than Stanleys by a wide margin, and no comparison under harsh conditions (cutting sheetmetal, etc). I like the Lenox better than the Irwin. I like the white Lenox knives also.

We're just now testing the new Lenox recip blades, so no verdict on that yet.

Lenox does know blades. Talk to someone who does heavy industrial steel cutting with bandsaws. Lenox is tops.

DG/Builder

Leon HI
03-01-2006, 02:03 AM
I personally think that the best utility knife blades are the PERSONNA brand, kinda hard to find but they live the stanleys and lenox in the dust.

Milton
03-01-2006, 08:19 AM
I usually keep a small sharpening stone in my tool belt. A couple of swipes and you got a pretty sharp blade. Not as good a new but a whole lot better than dull.

I like Milwaukee blades for my sawzall. You really get what you pay for. I never compared them to Lenox blades but I'll give them a try next time.

eschoendorff
03-01-2006, 08:24 PM
We're just now testing the new Lenox recip blades, so no verdict on that yet.
DG/Builder

I have one of their new recip blades too. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though...

stonebender
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Haven't used the Lenox. As far as blades though- I was impressed with Irwin. When I cut rock they seem to outlast stanley by quite a bit.

Axis29
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I voiced my opinion on these Lennox Gold blades a few months ago. As a carpenter, they are the sh**. I tried them on a lark and never looked back. They are sharper to start with and stay sharp longer than the plain steel ones. I use them a long time each. Though I may have to gob ack to shaprening my own again too.... I ahve a little diamond stone made for exacto blades that I used to use all the time. Hmm, where is that little son of a gun?

Haven't seen any new blades form lennox for the recip.

I haven't seen the irwin blades yet either...

ARKeathley
03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
My employee had one in his knife for two days of hanging rock. The same blade a week later was cutting through Tyvek like a new blade. It finally went dull so he put another in and it didn't last any longer than a regular one. Go figure! I'll stick to stanley since they are alot cheaper.

Aaron

teakbldg
03-12-2006, 09:09 AM
I've used them in my sawzall to cut roof openings and through plaster.I don't see any real difference other than the thickness. they're harder to bend.