PDA

View Full Version : How to hide repaired/patched areas?

MikeG911
12-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Hello all, this is my first post here.

I recently did a small reno job for a client which involved fixing MANY nail pops in their drywall. Most of the nails had started to let loose over the years (built in 1959) and were very obvious. I put in screws and hammered the old nails in with a nail set.

I consider myself relatively competent when it comes to taping/mudding/patching and thought I had done a good job of fixing the 100's of pops. After priming and painting the whole wall (not just the patches), all the patches were somewhat visible due to the texture diference depending on what angle you were looking at the walls.

What is the best way to mask all the patches? They seemed so much smoother compared to the rest of the wall.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Mike

Kgphoto
12-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Texture the patches to match the wall.

Kirk g

MikeG911
12-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Kirk....the walls had no texture other than several layers of paint over the years. All areas were covered with same nap roller.

Maybe I need to take a bit more mud off with my pole sander?

Mike

Kgphoto
12-13-2004, 10:37 PM
OK with that information I can give you more information. The texture of the wall is multiple layers of rolled paint. So use a 1/2 nap roller and roll two coats of primer on the patches and two coats of finish, then roll witha a/3 nap roller 1 coat of finish and feather into the rest of the wall.

Kirk G

MikeG911
12-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply KG - sorry if I was vague in the original post. I will give your idea a try next time. I was disapointed with my work as I was trying to make the wall look 'perfect' not 'repaired' and the method I was using wasn't working.
Mike

Kgphoto
12-14-2004, 07:50 PM
You just made your patches perfect. Next time make em match the wall. That is the art in drywall.

Kirk

Myron Ferguson
01-01-2005, 06:42 PM
If I am worried about the problem you described I make sure a flat paint is used because that will make the patches less obvious. If the customer wants a paint with a sheen it is usually necessary to apply a thin tight coat of compound to the entire wall (skim coat).

careercustompainters
01-12-2005, 12:09 PM
hi my take on this is to wet sand and tap w/small pore sponge works well .. g,luk Tony

craigmic
02-08-2005, 09:15 AM
I agree on damp sponging the sides but I probably would have textured and painted the whole wall, breaking it above a door or window where it can't be sighted and where a paint difference won't show.

phillip
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Kirk....the walls had no texture other than several layers of paint over the years. All areas were covered with same nap roller.

Maybe I need to take a bit more mud off with my pole sander?

Mike

Nope

put more mud on

skim the whole wall, it is the only way to make the whole smooth wall to look seamless