PDA

View Full Version : Prefinished Drywall

TCoggins
12-08-2004, 08:27 PM
I have a client that is buying a new office that has prefinished drywall (the stuff that is wrapped in with vinyl, I think). She wants some of the walls removed, and one of the walls moved. Does anybody know if it is customary to glue this type of board to the studs, or is it held on with clips (I saw an installation once that used clips)? I am curious as to how difficult this board is to remove, or how susceptible it is to any damage. While I don't expect anyone to know what this particular installation is like, I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge of this product that could shed some light.

Also, I have a friend who is a painting contractor who will be painting this stuff. Has anybody ever painted this type of product before? Any problems or issues?

Thank you.

SteveH
12-09-2004, 12:44 PM
If it's the vinyl faced drywall how are you going to paint it? It does not need paint as the vinyl or cloth is on the board. Never done one of these and thus I'd follow the instructions.

bradcas
12-09-2004, 04:23 PM
The system is called a demountable partitions. Yes they are usually held together by clips. There is a corner piece of aluminum brake metal that is friction fit in the corner. This corner is screwed through the face. the rest you pull on the sheet of rock the exposes the screws in the clip that holds the next sheet. If you need more info check USG.COM, I think there are one of the companies that make a reusable sytem . let me know if you need more help

hope this helps
brad

TCoggins
12-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the input. As far as painting it, the client does not want it white, as she has some unique tastes in colors (this is an existing building, and was originally built using white coated dryall panels).

Myron Ferguson
01-01-2005, 05:32 PM
It may be a little tricky to paint because it is vinyl. Ask someone who you trust at a real paint store. I primed and wallpapered over the prefinished drywall once and had problems with loose paper.