PDA

View Full Version : Curved Drywall Soffit

RGServices
10-09-2004, 09:56 AM
I am constructing an interior drywall soffit in a nail salon that will have lights above it. Half the ceiling will be acoustical and the other half will be drywall with a 1-1/2 foot profile that curves with the ceiling. I am looking for some suggestions on how to construct this soffit.

Thanks!
Stella Royce

bradcas
10-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Not reallty sure how you want it to look so here are three types:

Use USG barrel cieling grig system so you can form a curve and layer it with drywall depending on how tight you can turn the radius

Use plywood to cut the radius and use them like "rafters" and add blocking between the to make the curved surface.

Get som FLEXI-TRACK from a dealer and you can make the radius out if it. then you just a small stubby studs to form the curve.

if this is confusing, explain more detail on if it is a vaulted or coved ceiling or is it a curved corner.

brad

RGServices
10-10-2004, 05:08 AM
http://www.usg.com/Education_Certification/pdf/01JulyDesigningCurvedCeilings.pdf

look on page two of this USG pdf. the small office picture showing the free form island ceilings and fascia are exactly what we need to accomplish - but just on one side of the salon. The curves are very similar as well. My biggest concern is attachment to the ceiling, then transferring the pattern of the curve which will also match the pattern on the floor of the ceramic tile.

Thanks for your help
Stella

Msloggatt
10-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Stella -
the cove is laid out on the floor -Therefore the match for the tile is no problem - we frame semi circular plywood pieces for the frame & construct matching elliptical corners for the corners -- not too hard at all

bradcas
10-11-2004, 03:51 PM
If you want that 6"or so fashia finished, USG I think makes a product called "axion trim" in which you can order to any radius and it comes in a prefinished white to match cieling grid.

to do it out of drywall, use the plywood and cut the the shape of tile floor and add a curved fashia out of a few layers of 1/4" plywood( depending on radius) then laminatye the plywood with 1/4" or 3/8" rock. use a USG suspended drywall ceiling system (it is heavier duty than normal ceiling grid) that you can screw the plywood to so it looks like a cloud.

hope this helps

brad

Myron Ferguson
11-10-2004, 07:11 PM
USG's drywall suspension system sounds like the answer.

buildall
11-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Does the flexi-track system employ a bottom or top plate?
looks funny to me. how do you secure the top and bottom of the wall?
Thanks

Erich

Myron Ferguson
11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
The Flexi- Track has a top and bottom plate that is formed into the shape and screws are installed along the edges to hold the shape. It works good. I have used it for curves walls and curved half walls. The plates are just screwed into the framing. It will also work for soffets. Screw the top to the ceiling, the bottom will hold its shape and can be framed to for returns to the wall.