PDA

View Full Version : Can't Screw Taperred Edge

SteveH
09-07-2004, 07:44 PM
A few weeks ago I was rocking with my boys and we could not screw into the taperered edge. The 1 1/4" coarse screw just would not grab but it did grab outside the tapered edge..this is perplexing and why did this happen?

stamcon
09-07-2004, 09:18 PM
If the screw strips at the threads instead of pulling into the rock, my guess is that the framing is too soft and the tapered edge is too dense. I've run into this a few times and used longer screws where needed, to keep from stripping out, or used nails.

steve

Drywaller
09-08-2004, 08:31 PM
I'll bet the rock you were hanging was 5/8"? Am I right?
I have had this same problem with 5/8" only.
Stamcon is right,The tapered edges are alway more dence especially with 5/8".

SteveH
09-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Steve,

Great analysis and now I know why it happens. Strange it never happened before.

Drywaller,

Can't remember if it was 1/2 or 5/8..too many jobs lately. I know the tapered edge is harder but this wood must have been fluffy soft.

timodonnell
09-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Sometimes the recessed edge is too tough to allow a screw head to sink.You can try installing the board fastening only the field. Next soften the recessed edge at wall studs by pre dimpling it with a light whack from your hammer, then screw off the edges.

dakota
09-26-2004, 08:06 PM
I have ocasionaly found hard spots in some rock but not all sheets. tapered edges of 5/8 F/R rock are defently harder but I have never had a problem with 1 5/8" corse threded screws in wood framing. What type of rock?