PDA

View Full Version : proper method of leveling ceiling?

ak_1313
09-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi, I just wanted to confirm some things before I start out on my drywalling project (better safe than sorry!)

I'm going to be adding resilient channel, soundboard and then 5/8 drywall to the plaster ceiling of a bedroom in a duplex in order to reduce noise between apartments. I've looked into things and I'm confident about the sequence and how to secure the various materials, but I'm concerned about ensuring that the new drywall ends up level since the old ceiling is not.

What is the best way to ensure that the ceiling is relatively level? My initial idea was to use shims or furring under the resilient channel in order to level the channels out and then just hanging everything in the normal manner, but is there a better way?

Thank you for any advice that you may be able to provide, I'm fairly new at drywalling and I certainly appreciate the advice of the experts!

Al

SteveH
09-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Al,

The shimming method works..it's just a lot of time. The RC-1 Channel should even out the ceiling somewhat and it all depends on how level the ceiling is.

An alternative is to use Rigix-X, it's a grid system like for ceiling tile but made for drywall and you can hang soundboard on it too.

cabled
09-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Al,
If you have access to a laser, and a high enough ceiling to accomodate padding down (sounds like you already do), find the low point of your ceiling and shim down over your plaster (aligning with each existing joist). Add your resilient channel perpendicular to your joists and you should be set.

If you do not have access to a laser (like many of us - boo hoo), use a water level and mark the perimeter of the room then measure up from there to establish where your low point is. You can start by making marks about 4 or 5 feet off the floor, then transfer your level mark up a few inches below the existing ceiling - snap a control line across all marks around the perimeter and you should with a decent size (6') level be able to roll from there.

ak_1313
09-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks a lot for your help, that's what I thought (was afraid) I would have to do. The ceiling doesn't seem that far off level so I think I'll try renting a laser level and using some shims. If it looks like it's way out once I have the level on it, then I might go with the grid system.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance, I'm sure it will save me a lot of messy trial and error!

Al