PDA

View Full Version : Staining pre hung door casing.

Nicholas
08-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Painting a job (new house construc.) that will have finished trim and doors. Just wrapping up the painting (Tuff-Hide is great stuff).
And taking deliverey of the doors and trim.

What is the best way to tackle staining/finishing the casing and jambs of the prehung/precased doors ?

I can't stain the casing after hanging them, stain WILL get on the painted walls. It would be a lot of work to pull the doors and hinges, stain and finish the casing/jambs, reassemble the doors, hang the doors, then pull the doors and hinges again to finish/paint the doors (some doors will be paint one side, stain the other.)

What have You all found to be the most productive ??

Thanks,
Nick

mleroux21
08-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Personally I would stain the casing prior to install so I wont get any on the walls. Then I would remove the door and stain the door outside along with the casing. I would stain the jambs in place knowing I have some room for error since the casing will cover it up.

HenryP
08-17-2004, 11:56 AM
What is the best way to tackle staining/finishing the casing and jambs of the prehung/precased doors ?

What have You all found to be the most productive ??

Thanks,
Nick

Nick:
Do the builder a favor and pull that applied casing and throw it in the dumpster. Tell him to order new stuff and prestain it for him. If he insists on precased doors, tell him to supply a case of stain grade caulk to help those factory miters...ugh!

dakota
08-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Rule of thumb? Stain first paint after install. 99.9% of the work I do is stain grade. I have not installed trim that was not pre finished ( paint or stain) in over 20 years. If the trim is not factory finished the painters strip the hardware stain and wipe. Then spray 3 coats of clear. some times water based some tomes a fast dry urthane. Then reassemble the doors in to frames. The only problem is the pre mitered trim will not fit well becausse of the finish on the corners so I do not pay for pre cut trim in the first place.