PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Direction?

Griffin
08-09-2004, 08:40 AM
I know the general rule is to run the ceiling perpendicular with the joists. I'm about to start a ceiling that was completed firred down with 1 x 2 perpendicular to the joists. Should I run the rock perpendicular with the strips now or still go perpendicular with the joists? I'm using 1/2" sheets, should I increase the screws to 1 1/4" since I'm not going to screwing directly into the joists?

Kgphoto
08-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Out here the rock would still be 5/8, but we would run perpendicular to the strapping, not the joists. We use 1 1/4 on half inch normally, so I would expect longer over the joists and shorter in the spaces if you want to keep track.

I wonder what other responses you get. How was the strapping attached? If it was only nailed, I may even go to 2 inches to make sure I hit the joist. Of course it may lever down the strapping if you don't pre-drill.

Kirk

Manny Davis
08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
I am in the northeast where furring is quite common. You don't say how large the room is, but if you can run the sheets in such a way to eliminate butt joints then go that way. 1x2s are only an inch and a half wide, so check to see how accurately the strips are laid out before you go parallel with the furring, because they might be way off. 1 1/4" coarse thread screws are what you should use for 1/2" or 5/8" on wood.

Griffin
08-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. The room is 30 x 25 and I screwed the strips in to the joists with 2 1/2" course drywall screws. I don't think they will move any. (I Hope at least) I tried to keep the strips 16oc but I can't guarantee they are 101% accurate so I will probably go with running perpendicular to them. The only reason I even put them up was because the joists were crowned very badly in some spots and needed to be leveled.