PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a ceiling

buckspooker
07-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Is the reason that drywall is supposed to be hung on a ceiling perpendicular to the joists a structural matter or aesthetical to attempt and hide sagging joists? I just hung a ceiling in my office onto 2x6 joists spanning 10'6" @ 16"o.c and I hung the boards parallel to the joists. Does anyone foresee any problems I may encounter in the future. I will be putting a crows foot type texture on the ceiling as well.

Kgphoto
07-24-2004, 12:18 AM
I hope it was 5/8's drywall. It is stronger to run perpendicular and helps to level out the dips if they are not too great.

You now have longer seams on the boards and they may be more prone to cracking due to joist movement.

Kirk

handyRick00@hotmail.com
07-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Running parallel to the joists (trusses) forces you to split the 1 1/2" of stud over 12' - applying rock perpendicular - you only had to split that board over 4' (the old fashoned way, ie forcing you to share a stud). The modern approach is to float the butt so you don't have to split any wood (using rocksplicers or other products) you can get a recessed butt (just like the seams).

Try rocking the lids on a 24' x 20' room - that is out of square (like all rooms). You'll be quickly adding *sister* studs.

I've seen a couple carpentors hand parallel to the wood, but every job was a mess. ( But that could just be from carpentors hanging rock and have nothing to do with hanging it in the *wrong* orentation)

BTW, you can see rockSplicers at our sister site (and a perfect butt joint too)

http://groups.msn.com/DryWallProfessionals/drywallpics.msnw

-r

Myron Ferguson
07-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Drywall is more likely to sag if hung parallel to the joists. You will be fine because you used one length and the framing is 16" on center. The only worries you will have is a crowned seam or a cracked seam.