PDA

View Full Version : Smooth finish issues

Julieann
07-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Recently, we applied a smooth finish to the inside of an entire house (after scraping off the popcorn everywhere). A remodel.

It seems like the drywall work would never end. It was all sanded and carefully checked and looked fine. Then, we primed. All the flaws popped out like crazy. Pinholes, sanding marks, missed places.

We corrected them and primed again. Then, all the lights were installed (recessed and others) and more places showed up. The pinholes never seemed to stop popping up.

I'm thinking we should have sprayed some kind of surfacer (like First Coat) which would have filled in all the pinholes and other imperfections. BUT, there are something like 40 doors plus all the windows in this house and we would have had to cover them all.

Any shortcuts or other suggestions??

Myron Ferguson
07-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Did you spray on the paint only without backrolling? Or maybe you just rolled on the paint. If you did roll on the paint and you are seeing these problems then maybe you needed another skim coat of compound over the previously textured surfaces. If the texture was not completely removed before coating it is possible that after sanding enough compound was removed to expose the old texture which is very porous.

handyRick00@hotmail.com
07-20-2004, 02:50 AM
what were the pin holes from?
I did a job a few months back that seemed to never end. It was one of the *high end* rentals I maintain - prev tennants put an average of 200 pin holes per wall (including ceiling, bathroom, etc). that's over 1000 pin holes per room.

I use 500 watt lamp at a low angle to the walls when I'm touching up. The bright lights exzaggerate the defects.

Julieann
07-24-2004, 04:45 PM
We have actually finished the project and I'm just trying to learn for the future.

We sprayed on a primer without backrolling. I don't understand the importance of backrolling? What issues come up if you don't backroll? And, does rolling affect the pinholes coming through?

handyRick00@hotmail.com
07-25-2004, 01:47 AM
The biggest advantage to backrolling (IMAO) is on new work - you need to do a "mop down* of the drywall to smooth down the paper fibres raized from sanding.

I always do it after remodle jobs too - small pin holes are very visibile when you are backrolling and you can typically fill them with paint (using a roller - but not an airless).

--rick

Kgphoto
07-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Also, sometimes the atomization from a sprayer adds air to the paint to make bubbles that pop and look like pin holes, Backrolling knocks them down and merges everything and the texture from the roller helps mask small imperfections and force the paint into small depresssions.

Kirk

Drywaller
07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Any time you skimcoat compound over a previously painted surface you will find there is no absortion of compound into surface,therefore the moisture in the compund will bubble up and create your pinholes.
It usually will take an extra coat of compound to fix.
I repair alot of plaster and anything that has paint on it will need extra coats.