PDA

View Full Version : Knockdown over old plaster

DanteO
07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
I am currently rehabbing a 1902 house that looks to have been replastered at some point throughout its life. The walls are somewhat uneven and I am looking for an economical solution that will hide the imperfections. My first instict was to apply knockdown with my new texture rig (graco RTX1500) but will this uneveness cause problems? Are there any other sprayable textures you would reccommend? For those that texture both walls and ceilings, would you popcorn the ceiling, or texure the walls first?

Thanks for your help...

Ode...
07-11-2004, 11:40 PM
If you will give us more info, we will be better equipped to answer specifically?
Maybe trying to use a finish that is typical of the 1902 era would be more in line? Remember, it does have many years of paint over the original. Popcorn or similar was not available, unless the popcorn was fine textured and had a hundred years of repaints covering it.
Knockdowns were prominent during some of that time period. If I remember history well enough, it was a recovering time after the depression from the Spanish American War of 1890. I know that I grew up in a home built in 1900. It had some recollections of the Queen Anne period, but was based mostly from the Victorian era.

handyRick00@hotmail.com
07-12-2004, 03:59 AM
Ya, it would be a *crime* to violate the lid with *poop Corn*.

part of the charm of 1900's homes, uneven walls. Modern High end homes often hand plaster over perfectly flat drywall to give the custom - hand job - unevenness of the old world.

What kind of imprefections do you want to hide?

BryPaulD
07-12-2004, 07:13 AM
I love my rtx :) Perhaps a nice skip trowel would be in effect there??

DanteO
07-12-2004, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't be thinking about popcorn or any type of texture if the area the house is located would support high end work. However, this is a spec remodel. The unevenness is not the problem as much as the hairline horizontal cracks (the plaster is still "keyed"). Also, there are surprisingly very few layers of paint and any wallpapered areas have been stripped.

handyRick00@hotmail.com
07-15-2004, 03:49 AM
Someone will supply what the customer requests. I've blown a few plaster ceiling with hairline cracks (with poopCorn). I just fixed the large cracks - That did the trick. I'm not sure if it will work for you.

A few years ago a good cust of mine requested poopCorn on the lids. I went into my *righteous - crime to blow poopCorn* act. She finally interrupted me and said, "listen, if you don't do it I;ll find someone who will".

--rick

Myron Ferguson
07-19-2004, 10:38 PM
A knockdown is very difficult over uneven surfaces. A fine splatter will look good. If you don't fix the cracks first they will show through. I usually replaster these types of jobs or apply a fiberglass mat over the entire surface and then skim coat.

handyRick00@hotmail.com
07-20-2004, 03:46 AM
Myron,
Not everyone uses a trowel (as you do - at least in your *rock* video).
When I was applying for taping position in Vegas (circa 1978) - many outfits wouldn't even test tapers that used a hawk and trowel.

>>apply a fiberglass mat over the entire surface and then skim coat.

I find it faster to rock over the existing wall - but then I'm not a plasticizer.

--rick

DanteO
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the replies...I am leaning towards fine spatter now for the speed and ease of application. I am guessing I need to thin some joint compound and then spray it with a small nozzle and a lot of atomizing air.