PDA

View Full Version : How would you prep this for paint?

Kgphoto
07-08-2004, 11:35 AM
I am currently prepping this house for paint. The previous painter had use a spackle type substance to fill the cracks and that is where all the cracking and failure occured first. I intend to fill using a "bondo" type product, but do you haven any other sugestions? These are cracks in 2x12 materials and 1x8 shiplap. It also failed over nails and knots.

I will have to post the third picture on the next post.

kirk

Kgphoto
07-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Here is an overview of the house and the other close up.

Kirk

Chad Fabry
07-08-2004, 10:19 PM
The best automotive fillers are "heavyweight" resin rich mixtures.
Bondo is a lightweight, easy sand, product but it readily absorbs moisture. Get the wood clean and use Duraglass if you can find it. It's a very heavyweight filler with excellent adhesive properties and is completely impervious to water. Put it on neat... I'm tellin ya, it doesn't sand easily...somewhere between rock and brass would be my guess.

Swan LS
07-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I would look into the moisture problem that is causing the paint pealing before I did anything or you will have a failure and all your work will be in vain. From what I see from the picture there is no vents to let water vapor out of the garage (house). I don’t know your location but paint failure is caused by vapor pressure .Swan

Kgphoto
07-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Swan

There is definately a problem with the flashing details on this garage. It seems the spackle expands and contracts differently from the wood/paint and that starts an opening that water goes into and the causes more and more damage. The fact that the homeowner delayed matainence until it reached this levels didn't help.

Kirk

dakota
07-14-2004, 08:11 PM
I am gussing here but it would seem that you need a lot more than paint. Any time you have large cracks like these you should be looking replacing the affected wood first. You also need to find out what is causing the paint problem. Is there lead based paint causing underlying problems problems. Is there moisture problems. If you do not fix the moisture problems, Flashing siding etc. your new paint is also doomed to fail.