PDA

View Full Version : extras

JAKA
05-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Other than straight drywall or veneer plaster work, what other things are you selling. I see adds for venetian plaster, 'drywall art' (in short, layered drywall or lighting in track, like the stuff 'Trim-tex' offers.) I see a lot of stuff that in my area (Northern Ohio) are not gonna sell. The money just isn't there. I may find one person in a thousand that has the bucks to blow on fringe items, but in general its plain 'same old finish' that sells. There are classes out there that are offering to teach application of their new products, but the bottom line is 'I can't sell it!' Is this a money trend through out the entire country or just my neck of the woods? So the bottom line of my question is what's selling and whats not selling?

Ode
05-29-2004, 11:22 PM
We have few calls or specs that include special drywall or plaster specialties here in SE TN. Those few that do take us up on it are simply trying to avoid the costs of wood or MDF trim. They have a lot of lineal footage to cover, and want a grand look, so they opt for sculptured drywall.

Sculptured Drywall (http://www.sweetincompany.com/drywall.html)

C.C
05-30-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm in central Ky. Our offices are in the Bowling Green and Elizabethtown area with about 25 employees....The only extras we get in this area is offering different ceiling textures(swirl,coin,seashell,basketweave,diamond.. ..ect)I get anywhere from 1.25 to 2.50 per square foot(a basic house with 2 ceiling designs will get us a extra 500.00 on average for about 3 hours of work).We have tried to offer several ideas to our contractors but they are not willing to pay the extra price.Like you said,the basic finish sells..

JAKA
05-30-2004, 03:19 PM
People don't seem to want to invest in things for the long run anymore. They buy furniture made of particle board cause they're so worried that they won't be able to 'change' the look next year cause they have too much invested. Houses seem the same way, no one plans on living in a house longer than 2 or 3 years anymore so why add things they like. I see people just buying a house and are worried more about the re-sale value than their own comfort. When I was young, people invested in their homes for beauty and comfort, it just doesn't seem these products are as viable as they push in advertising, they say how much you can make doing Venitian plaster good luck finding someone willing to pay.