PDA

View Full Version : ceiling corners under crown molding

charles
05-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Does it make any sense to tape ceiling corners that will be covered with crown molding?

Jeremy
05-20-2004, 05:15 PM
I would tape them, just to make the bond. Plus, it may be required for firecode.

tom dickey
05-20-2004, 07:30 PM
we always tape all joints to seal the rooms keeps the inspectors happy too
tom

JAKA
05-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Now that you bring this up it reminds me of something that happened to me a while back you might want to keep in mind. We were taping a old house that had been gutted insulated and re-hung. The corners were wavy and had some gaps in it. A USG Rep came to the jobsite to show my guys some new products, one being the metalback inside coner on a roll. With all the gaps in the corners this looked like a good product to help the joints from showing any flaws. They gave us a big box of the stuff and we used it on the whole house. 3 coat finish and sanded, we didn't know the whole house was slated for crown moulding, not that we would have cared because they paid for the 3 coat anyway. The GC calls me and asked me 'what the hell did I do in the corners!' He was mad as heck, I asked him why. Hey said the nails from the finish nailers are curling up and won't penetrate the walls. The metal bead was stopping the nails from going in. So just as a bit of info, keep this in mind if you ever use this type of bead. I'm wondering if even the heavy plastic backed 'No-Coat' may deflect a nail if it hits at an angle?

charles
05-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Man, why does the bead need to be so thick? What are they, 18 gauge?

JAKA
05-21-2004, 07:13 PM
The wide tape is maybe 2" on the roll. When you unroll it and fold it over for the inside corner, each side is around 1". Like the plastic no-coat, the metal is around 3/4", I guess this strengthens the corner and fills bad hanging gaps. The metal doesn't seem that thick but I shot it head on with my Hilti finish nailer and it still wasn't a full seat for a 2" brad. My Hilti is a top of the line tool so it wasn't because someone was using an off brand cheap gun that wouldn't work. When I tilted the gun on an angle, it curled right up, no penetration. I guess the stuff is good if you don't want to put up crown though. I just thought i'd mention it so you can store it in the memory bank for future reference.

Jim
05-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I finish ALL the seams nails corners etc ALL the time. What happens when some one changes there mind. Moves a cabinet, changes trim sise, remodels, or the plans are wrong. It is not worth the call back.