PDA

View Full Version : Drywall on porch ceiling

Jim Mitchell
05-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Can you tell me if they make drywall and a mud that could be installed on a porch ceiling I live in Texas (hot and humid) and I worry about sagging and mold. I am not sure if green board would hold up to this.

Steve
05-16-2004, 07:58 AM
There is an exterior board and it has dark brown paper. Use a setting compound such as E-Z sand to finish it. The brown board is most probably a special order.

Jim
05-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Steve
Are you talking about GYP shething? I have used it a lot in fire walls but have never taped it. Every exterior instlation with rock I have seen has failed. Try cement board and veneer plaster or stuco.

Steve
05-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Jim,

yes, that's it. I did a few hotel canopies with it..guess if the architect specked it. it must work. Never had a complain about it.

butch
05-20-2004, 05:20 AM
I used sheet rock on my porch ceiling about 10

yrs. ago and haven't had any problems, just

can't remeber if I used moisture resistant or

not.

Andy
06-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Jim;
I have used a product called soffit board (a stiffer board, felt just like regular drywall to me) that can be screwed to 24 oc framing and it has held up in Toronto for two winters now. On a coivered porch, taped and painted just as if it was interior.
cheers
Andy

myron Ferguson
06-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Yes definately use an exterior drywall. It can be taped but because of expansion and contraction you may have some problems. Leave a gap around the edges and maybe even fur the ceiling first with RC1.