PDA

View Full Version : 25GA Studs

Mike Rooney
05-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I just did a basement remodel and boxed in the ducts and beam with 25ga studs. When we hung the rock, the screws were stripping out before they would set - what a PITA! Tried several different types of screws and it didn't seem to make any difference - wound up using lots of glue and the finishing....GRRR!
I think I heard the d.w. (USG) has been reformulated so it is a lot stiffer - it seemed to be a bit heavier and crisper when I cut it.
Next time I'll insist on atleast 20ga.
Just wanted to give you guys the heads up.

myron Ferguson
05-03-2004, 09:27 PM
The drywall does seam harder especially along the tapered edges. I have been having problems lately hiding the seams.I had to adjust my 10" box to leave more of a crown. I will see USG at the Anaheim show and I will ask them about this.

Steve
05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
I never use 25 gauge studs..always 20 gauge for the reason you cited. The screws strip as is the metal not strong enough.

Bill P
05-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Mike,

Just curious, were you using 1/2" board? I did two layers of 1/4" over 25 ga. studs and had the same problem (with the first layer only). The board was not thick enough to allow the screw to crush the material. The second layer went fine, as it crushed into the first layer too.

Also, it helps if you can put more pressure on the screw as it penetrates the stud. As the screw enters the metal it needs to push the metal back as the screw enters. If you go too light on it, it will pull the metal out and the metal will not hold as well.

Hope this helps on the next job.

Bill

Tracy Mac
05-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Just curious on what type of screw you were using,I work with 18 mil studs all the time hanging with a HiLo 1 1/4 and it works just fine.

Mike Rooney
05-06-2004, 07:34 AM
1/2" rock - 1 1/4" fine threads - 4,000rpm screwgun
I also tried 1" fine threads, 1 1/4" coarse threads, and 2,500 rpm gun in various combinations - nothing seemed to make any difference. About half sunk, half didn't. I think it must have been a combination of the "improved" sheetrock and the crappy studs.
I've been trying to convince the guy I sub these jobs from to use more metal (I frame, hang, finish,and trim these jobs) - thank goodness he didn't listen to me on this one!
Another thing - light guage corner bead - now even our "reputable" building supply is carrying this crap - have to make a special trip across town to commercial DW distributor to get the real thing.

Jim
05-09-2004, 01:14 PM
I did not have the problem 15 yeasr ago. Softer metal and harder rock? When I have to use 25 ga studs try using a corse thred screw and slow the gun down. It's a pain but seems to help.

Mike Rooney
05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
I did not have the problem 15 yrs. ago, either. Read my post: I tried that.
You live, and you learn - then you live a little bit longer , and everything you know is irrelevant.