PDA

View Full Version : Getting creamy hot mud

Erick
04-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Every time I try to mix hot mud (90, 45, etc min mud) I always have problem getting rid of all the lumps. Any suggestions on the best way to mix the powder mud to minimize/eliminate the lumps. Thanks

Erick

RW
04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Start with water in the bucket, not the powder. Add powder and mix periodically until you get where you want to be. If you start with the powder first, the bottom will sit and get clumpy. Also, you need a mixer with some power to it. I love the hole hawg on slow. It's about perfect. Once I have the consistancy I want, I mix the whole thing about another 15 seconds. It's enough to turn the contents of the tub end for end and I can see if there's any little clumps.

Alan Ernstsen
04-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Eric, I agree w/RW, about starting w/the water but would then quickly add all the powder you need, plus a little. Mix it well. (I find that the lumps mix out much more quickly if the mix somewhat dry). Then sponge in what h2o you need to get it to desired consistency. My 2 cents.

rickA
05-03-2004, 03:01 AM
I agree with RW - hole hog in granny works great. And also with Alan, a thick mix will *beat out* the clumps much quicker. (this is esp true for mixing regular mud from powder).

Hot mud has an exceptionally high solubility - I'm wondering if you are mixing it too thin or using old material.

Old material will set up faster than specified and will never be smooth.

Hot mud has a shelf life - make sure u have fresh powder.

I've seen tapers use hot water, which gives you a slight increase in solubility at the cost of a *huge* decrease in workability.

Kirk
05-03-2004, 09:54 AM
I use a squirrel cage paint mixer to mix my hot mud. It works real well. I start with water in the bucket and and a "dump" of powder. If it is a little loose, I mix it well and then add powder a little at a time. If too dry, sponge in some water.

They make the mixers out of plastic and metal. I use a plastic one in a one gallon bucket. I don't normally mix more hot mud than that as I am doing small jobs. If I am going to mix up a lot, I will do it in a 5 gallon bucket with a 1/2 drill and standard mix paddle. I also only mix the 40 or 90 in that size of quantity.

Kirk

John
06-04-2004, 02:58 PM
try mixing a little liquid soap to the water before adding the powder. It really does'nt do much about the consistancy but improves the workability.