PDA

View Full Version : DIY Drywall Question

Matt
04-21-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm in the process of finishing a room in our house. This project is being done on whatever time I have available. I'm slowly finishing all the joints, fasteners and corners as I get time. My question is this. Is there a problem with spacing coats of mud over an unusally long period of time? I might put a first coat on a joint at the beginning of the week, but not get back to it until the next weekend. This means I have one side of my corners pulled, a couple of factory seams with the first bed of mud and tape put on, corner bead with the first run on it. Basically, it's a work in progress. Will this cause any problems down the line, and should I work as hard as possible to get it finished in a timely manner?

By the way, I really enjoy the book Myron. Can you describe what you mean in the book about putting a slight curve on your knives? Is this to keep sharp edges from cutting into the mud? Do you do it just on the ends? Is this a very slight bend across the whole knife or just the corners?

Thanks to you all for your responses.

Finnegan
04-21-2004, 11:55 AM
I suggest working as hard as possible to finish the work in a timely manner in order to keep your wife happy. However, you should not have any trouble with the end product regardless of how long it takes you to complete the drywall finishing.

steve
04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Matt, it's probably a benefit to space out the coats. This will allow the mud to dry/shrink without affecting the next coat.

alan ernstsen
04-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Matt, re: the curve in your knives. This is done in the hope that the mud, when it does shrinks down toward the surface as it dries, will approach that 'mythical' plane of the wall. The curve on the knife might help, tho it's easily overcome with the pressure you apply to the blade against the wall, so it's not an issue unless the blade HAS a curve already in it. In which case, mark the handle and consistently use the convex side toward the wall. I've always filed the corners off the blades, both knives and trowels.(18" & 20" trowels are my cool tools for finishing). Feathering is the key here, keep a sponge handy and your blades clean when you're feathering off the edge of that last top coat, sweep the whole length if possible. Minimize your sanding. Sorry about the long post. Best Al

JAKA
05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Matt,

Hire a professional and all your problems will be solved. A book cashing in on the DIY craze will never take the place of a skilled craftsman protecting the investment you have in your house. I don't know what you do for a living, but it takes a lot of balls to come here and ask us how you can do a job that took us years to learn as a trade and expect us to help you, possibly taking money away from a local tradesman in your area. Stick with the book and Bob Villa and hope for the best.

myron Ferguson
05-03-2004, 08:13 PM
I put a slight curve in the whole blade not just the ends. This is done to keep the ends from digging in when I smooth out the compound. For the fill coat on seams I use a curved trowel which allows me to leave the compound slightly crowned to allow for shrinkege and sanding.

Keith
05-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Get off you high horse Jaka, Everyone has the right to try something theirself, and many in here are happy to help anyone out. Aren't we all actually helping out our competition anyways.

Btw DIYers usually gain much respect for us "Experts" when trying something thereselves.

Keith