PDA

View Full Version : Tearing out old drywall

Greg Dana
04-16-2004, 10:04 PM
I need to tear out all the sheetrock in a living room. Is there an efficient way to get it out, or do I just rip it to pieces.

It's nothing fancy: 1/2 inch rock, nailed but not glued.

Thanks

Aaron
04-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Greg:
Just ripped a full truckload of rock out of a garage I'm remodeling. If it's just nailed, consider yourself lucky. Screws make things a lot harder to take apart, even when it's sheetrock.
Other guys might have better ideas, but the best technique I've come up with is to take your hamnmer claw and bust the rock apart at the top of the wall. Make a big enough gap to get your hands into. Grab and pull down, trying for the largest possible pieces (less mess). Sometimes it also helps to score the rock vertically with the hammer claw. I pull nails as I go so I don't have to come back, and also so I don't scratch up my arms; (this is especially important on the ceiling because it means less ladder movement.)
Have fun!
Aaron

steve
04-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Greg, watch out for what's on the other side of interior walls. Yanking rock will flex the studs and could cause cracks/nail pops on the other side of the wall. Also pictures and such can get knocked off the walls.

Greg
04-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Get yourself a Kett saw blade & mount it on the end of a 1/4" bolt. Drill a 5/16" hole in hte end of a 3/4" scrap of wood 2.25" x10" long.
Insert the shaft in the hole & attach other end to a VS drill. Drill hole so that kett saw blade protrudes into surface about 5/8". The board is your handle to steady the saaw blade. Cut full length of wall in between studs. Rock & twist cut cut pieces off wall with little effort. They are easier to handle than a thousand little pieces. Wear Saftey Glasses & Gloves.

LEts be careful out there!

Adam
04-22-2004, 08:02 AM
I usually bash a hole in the centre big enough to get my hands in. Then yank the stuff off using an "in and out" motion. If nailed only this will pop the nails right through the sheet and allow big pieces to come off. Works for me anyway.

John
06-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Sometimes if enough nais are visible under the paint I'll take them out with a cats paw first. They have to come out anyway.