PDA

View Full Version : Spraying vs. rolling

Sean
04-08-2004, 05:38 PM
We are thinking of bidding on a large paint job. We are considering using a sprayer machine but never have in the past. Is there any difference in the quality of the paint job as compared to rolling. Could someone please list the pluses and minuses of both. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

butch
04-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Pluses of spraying is- fast,faster and fastest

Minuses of spraying- overspray and probably uses

more paint. First coat on wood the paint is not

absorbed,forced into the wood as would be if you

were rolling or brushing. But for a surface such

as sheet rock it would work perfect(spraying),

I think if everything was pre-primed, spraying is

the only way to paint. Just my .02

RickA
04-11-2004, 12:05 AM
When you say sprayer, I assume you mean airless.

I pretty much agree with butch. You need to either backroll the first PVA or at least wet mop to smooth the paper shards that come from sanding. I always backroll the primer.

Few people can pick up an airless and spray a uniform coat without a little guidance and practice. (That's where back coating comes in - that's where I learned to "run and gun"))

Airless will waste alot more paint, I don't remember the numbers (depends on pressure), but it's something like 30%.

Totaly agree with Butch, airless is the only way to go after priming.

RickA
04-11-2004, 12:13 AM
When you say sprayer, I assume you mean airless.

I pretty much agree with butch. You need to either backroll the first PVA or at least wet mop to smooth the paper shards that come from sanding. I always backroll the primer.

Few people can pick up an airless and spray a uniform coat without a little guidance and practice. (That's where back coating comes in - that's where I learned to "run and gun"))

Airless will waste alot more paint, I don't remember the numbers (depends on pressure), but it's something like 30%.

Totaly agree with Butch, airless is the only way to go after priming.

RickA
04-11-2004, 12:18 AM
If you rent a sprayer, ask for a new gun and suction filter. They are often pluged on rental machines. See the hotlink below (pic's) that have a couple shots of *tailing* - caused by not enough pressure.

text book tailing (http://groups.msn.com/C0MPUTERC0NSTRUCT10N/_whatsnew.msnw)

RickA
04-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Oops, correct hotlink below

tailing (http://groups.msn.com/DryWallProfessionals)

Sean
04-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your responses everyone. One other question, is their a lot of mess involved with spraying, meaning does every single little thing in a room needs to be covered? Is there a lot of mist.

Kirk
04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
There is tons of mist!!!

Spraying gives the smoothest finish, so if your wall is not perfect, every detail will show. sparying it on wall and then rolling with a roller(backrolling) is the best compromise between the two.

Set up and clean up is more with the sprayer than the roller, especially if you toss the rollers.

Small jobs(one wall) are better rolled.

Spraying is faster but uses more paint, more like 40%. You must mask everything, so rolling and cutting is faster.

Better coverage with spraying. If you are doing interiors and spraying and wear glasses, you will soon not be able to see, so get some disposable glasses or cheap ones you don't mind cleaning or a mask that covers everything with multiple layers of plastic you can peel off.

Kirk G

RickA
04-14-2004, 12:18 AM
I agree with Kirk but will add one more point. You need to be very anal about masking, as Kirk says the atomized paint goes everywhere. I have my helper put down cheap vinyl tarps, then heavy canvas tarps on top (can't paint over vinyl, your feet will *stick* to it), then I use 4" wide, 8' long 1/4" MDF strips to hold everything to the floor.

There is a good JLC article on spraying (Don't remember if you have to be a paid member to download it). He gives a good estimate of the break even for getting out the sprayer (how much work in gal IIRC).

And cleanliness is next to good work. The airless will blast all the loose debris off the floor onto you wall.

dryWall site, needs sister Painting site (http://groups.msn.com/DryWallProfessionals)

Kirk
04-14-2004, 10:36 AM
All very good points. I would like to mention that the spray will float under your mask so either tape the bottoms down at door ways or use the MDF boards like Rick.

Kirk

RickA
04-14-2004, 09:50 PM
I listed this URL on the MSN drywall message session. I'll add it to the paint faq (when I get caught up or when hell freezes over).

Anyone can post pics (or anything else) there. If anyone wants to be a manager just ask Bob.

-rick

Message Secion (http://groups.msn.com/DryWallProfessionals/messages.msnw)

butch
04-15-2004, 07:19 AM
For taping and masking you can't beat the 3-M

masking machine. It takes the tape and masking

paper and joins them together for quick taping.

But you need to tape the "flaps" down or they

will blow up when spraying w/high pressure. When

spraying, if you don't want paint on it you

better cover it. And as far as laying something

heavy on the paper, I've seen paper get blown

away with the high pressure. The only thing I

trust is securly taping.

RickA
04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Paper is ok if you can live with the 18" limit. I use paper and the 3M film masker which goes to 9'. Film doesn't need tape on shower stalls (due to static), kitchen cabnits, etc. It's harder to teach your helper how to use than the paper masker tho.

I don't tape my drop cloths to paper or to the floor because they have a tendency to pull up when you stumble around. My 1/4" x 4" x 8' MDF might move, but you can push it back.

Kirk
04-16-2004, 02:03 PM
I always run my clothes to the wall and then overlap from the wall to the center of the room with tape and paper, only taping to the wall. That way if I move the cloth with my feet or ladder, it doesnt pull the tape and paper away.

The edges, I either weight down or ignore. I use the 18 inch paper and since I spray the wall, it doesn't seem to move much. I sometimes use a spray shield since I have it near by anyway.