PDA

View Full Version : miracle trowel

becky beezo
04-01-2004, 09:19 PM
I was in a drywall supply house and they had an item i think was called Miracle Trowel. Basically looked like a 14 or 16 inch wide window washing squeege. It has a soft rubber blade and is supposed to be something that they advertize as a way to do a final wiping down of mud or plaster to get rid of the ridges. It looked kinda of interesting. One use they showed was as a skim coat tool when you apply thinned down mud as a coating. Just wipe off the excess it says for a great finish.

Anyone ever see these things or try them? Wondering if it might work for those of us that do drywall but not always do it that well.

Beezo

Kirk
04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Send me one and I will let you know.

Kirk

Myron Ferguson
04-04-2004, 09:07 AM
I haven't heard of it . Try and get a website or a phone number of the conpany.

butch
04-04-2004, 08:02 PM
I saw the same trowel at my local Sherwin-

Williams store, and was wondering the same thing

about it(does it work like advertised).

RW
04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Well, I have one of these modern marvels. I think if you're a full time drywaller, it's probably not a vast improvement over what you already do. There are times where the thing works pretty good, and skimming is one of them, but it takes some practice, and the mud has to be just so - unlike using a steel knife. Before you get the "feel" for the thing, it's pretty easy to get all kinds of ripples in your world. That being said, it works like a squeegee. If you're trying to take of most of the mud, it's your thing. If you think you're going to feather out a butt joint with it, stick with regular knives.

beezo
04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
web site I believe is www.texmaster.com. I think that they also make some of the faux painting roller covers and some of the things like stipple and texture brushes.

RW has actually used one of the things. I was thinking that it might be something that required everything to be just so so and some practice to get the results that they say you get. I have a job that is going to require quite a bit of skim coating which I was thinkin about doing with a roller full of mud. Then wiping it off. Always hated to get all those ridges so thought this might be the tool. I may get one just to add my two cents to see what I think.

Kirk
04-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Beezo,

You won't get ridges in your skim coat because you will hardly leave any mud and you overlap each of your scraping passes. Try it and see what I mean.

Kirk G.

Aaron
06-04-2004, 01:03 AM
We use those things to trowel knockdown. If you use these you don't have to wait as long to knock down as you would with a steel blade.