PDA

View Full Version : Attaching drywall to plaster wall

Erick
03-29-2004, 10:28 AM
I am working on a project that requires the removal of wall tiles on a plaster wall. Because of the extensive damage to the wall we want to install a layer of drywall over the plaster board instead of patching the wall.

Could some one tell me what is the best way to attach drywall to plaster wall. Coarse screws, liquid nails, a combination of both, any other method. Thanks

Erick

Jim
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
you got it, a combination of both,

Steve
03-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Just did a remodel on a very old house that required some drywall installed over plaster. The rockers used 2" screws; didn't matter if they hit framing or not since they screwed into wood lath if they missed framing.

You want to make sure you have a helper pushing on the drywall, keeping it flat to the plaster, near where you screw it down, so the screws don't pop off a big piece of plaster that gets stuck behind the drywall. It's a big hassle but well worth the extra time. Don't know if it's necessary to use Liq. Nails but if it gives you a secure feeling, why not?

Andre
04-01-2004, 01:16 AM
#1 I would definately use Liquid Nails.
#2 I wouldn't use 2" screws, who knows what you'll hit back behind the plaster. Add the thickness of the drywall and the thickness of the plaster and there's your screw size. The Liquid Nail will hold the rest.

RickA
04-02-2004, 05:53 PM
2" might be ok if you have 1/2" rock over 1/2" plaster.

I would use hotmud and screws. the old timers used taping mud and that seemed to work.

RickA
04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
And If I had room I'd use metal studs perpendicular to the studs.

Myron Ferguson
04-04-2004, 12:37 PM
You can use compound as your adhesive. A setting compound is best but a heavy weight drying compound will also work. Apply the compound in strips 16" on center and then use a trowel with 1/2"x1/2" notches to even out the compound. I prefer to apply the compound to the wall or ceiling if the surface is slightly irregular. Faster the entire perimiter, and in the face where necessary to pull the drywall in tight while the compound sets up and dries.