PDA

View Full Version : favorite utility knives?

Unreg
03-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Which utility knife does everyone prefer? Does your choice change if retractble vs non-retractable enters into the equation? I'm still trying to find an excellent retractable. One that holds a blade firmly, allows for easy blade changes, and will hold up on the job site.

RickA
03-26-2004, 03:25 AM
Forget retractables - a sure sign of an amature. They will never be as stiff as a single shot. Why do you think marine snipers shoot arab terrorists over 1 mile away with bolt action rifles and not semi-autos?

Get one that has the "tool free" blade changer.

-r

Finnegan
03-26-2004, 09:09 AM
I have an ancient fixed blade Stanley that works great.

Kirk
03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
I use the stanley quick change knife, because I find if the knife is sharp you don't have to pull so hard and need so stiff a knife. I can change a blade in 5 seconds without tools and extras are stored in the handle. I know the fixed single blade and a sharpening stone was the way of the past, but I am thinking of trying one of the new heavy duty snap blades from Fastcap. As I am almost always just using the tip, it seems like it would be a good way to go.

I will let you know.

Kirk

Woodrow
03-26-2004, 09:33 PM
http://media.doitbest.com/products/344885.gif

A retractable knife that locks (will not slip) the blade in any of five positions.

RickA
03-28-2004, 03:15 AM
I remember the old farts sharpening their blades. I never went for that crap. I don't know why you would take the time to use a retractable, it's slower and not as stiff. A blade lasts me all day. I break the tip off when it gets a little dull then have another run. I can change the blade in (.... fast ) with a tool less changer.

kirk, your right about a sharp blade, the blade does the cutting for you.

I'm too old and opinionated to change from proven old technology to disproved old technology.

I did buy one of those EZ-Rips that someone here (maybe me??) was ripping. On the few cuts I've used it on it worked great - for bonus pts my helper cut his finger fooling with it :)

leon bee
03-28-2004, 04:50 AM
I use whichever knife I can find, sometimes I have to buy another cheapo. I have a little stone in my right pocket, and I am one of those old farts who sharpens it a little every few cuts.

Kirk
03-28-2004, 02:54 PM
RcikA,

Which brand/model knife do you use? Am I to understand it is a fixed(non-retractable) knife that you can change blades without a screwdriver?

I have always been leary of a fixed blade, as I didn't want to cut up my pouch sheath. I have cut my chisel pouches because I keep them very sharp, so I always went with a retractable on the utility knife. Also, sometimes I hold the knife in my hand while I adjust or test something and I don't want to cut me or my helper.

Kirk

Mike S.
03-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I use a cheep stanely retractable. And I too break the tip off when it dulls.

I know that pros in general ignore safety issues (how many nailers have you seen with a bypassed safety). But I retract the blade after every cut. It is a reflex, it takes zero seconds! The blade dosen't slip unless I hit the button.

I want a quick change knife but don't like the bulk of the ones out there now.

Mike.

Adam
03-30-2004, 08:01 AM
For years I used a Stanley retractable with no problems.......until I lost it.
A workmate gave me his ( didnt like it, he prefered those "snap off" things that give me the willies )
Trouble was it had the nasty habit of retracting when I didnt want it to. So went with an old fixed blade.........very nice. Made a holder for it to go on the tool belt out of a cut down sealant tube. cant cut the pouch, always handy.

SJP
03-31-2004, 08:37 PM
I like the husky or ryobi cartridge knives - they're not great for everything because the blade is small, but for applications that dull the blade quickly its been great. The cartridges hold about 32 blades.

I tried the snap off knives a while back but they seem to slip and are flimsy. I recently bought a stanley (fat max?) quick change retractable and its been the best knife I used in a long time, doesn't jamb up and is very solid with a decent blade change system that works well.

I used to use the "suicide" knives, but after cutting myself and my puches too many times I decided enough was enough!

Steve

Greg
04-02-2004, 10:46 PM
There is only one kind of toothbrush that is the best for youre teeth (ask your dentist) we all have the same teeth.yet there are many different kida of toothbrushes on hte market It's all marketing.
They can bend a new ergonometric design in a knife every week & they are still just 85 % useless crap. Like the ones with a light or worse yet a laser light on the end. If you need a light on the end of you knife you should have gone home,or better yet retired along time ago
If you have to spend more than $5.00 you better think twice.
I like a stanley retrctable. I can change a blade in less the 45 seconds with a 16 D nail less than 30 with a phillips SD.

Greg

Kirk
04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Greg,

I'll pay a dollar more and be able to change a blade in three seconds with no tools.

I won't use a .99 Stanley because if the screw loosens the knife blades that are stored in the handle protrude and cut your hands.

Kirk

Rick Too
04-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I picked up a half dozen fixed blade knives from Grabber about 6 months ago. It has a large twist handle that opens it and a magnet that holds the blade in place while you close it. Best knife I've ever owned. I gave one to all my guys and thye all love them too.

Myron Ferguson
04-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Warner tool makes a nice knife that has a fixed blade. It is also a drywall rasp. I just ordered some from Warehouse Bay Corp. They sell for 6.79. www.warnertool.com or www.warehousebay.com

RickA
04-06-2004, 01:04 AM
I don't buy the old cliche "it's a personal decision, what's best for you is not best for the next guy". Every marksman in the world uses a single shot rifle - none of them use semi-autos, not even bolt action repeaters. What if the question was, is a Senco 16d nail gun better for production framing than a finish hammer or a rock? Obviously the Senco wins.

I just picked up a "Blade Smith" tool-less fixed at the mega Chain hardware store. It's not as stiff as my old Stanleys - maybe a good retractable would be as stiff.

As Myron has said in the past "The straighter your cut, the cleaner the snap" ( Or something like that)

Kirk: Yes I only use fixed blade, tool-less if I can help it. You can't cut thru a good leather pouch. It's good to cut your helper once in awhile, keeps them from getting too cocky:)
Maybe I just grew up with one so I'm used to putting it back in the holster after I fire.

--rick

RickA
04-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Bob has posted some pic's of fixed blade, quick change knives. Note the stanley is the stiffest and has a quick change button.

Knives (http://groups.msn.com/DryWallProfessionals/drywallpics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2)

Keith
05-24-2004, 03:57 PM
I like the new stanely fat max retractable, it has a quickchange thumb dial. Its easy to open and change the blade, and you can tighten down the thumb dial to secure the blade in place, like a fixed blade. One down side it that it may be a bid to skinny for bigger hands, but I fits great in mine.

Keith

Manny Davis
06-28-2004, 01:39 AM
Sheetrocking occasionally entails cutting all the way through the board from the face, like when your idiot helper doesn't land the end of the sheet in the middle of a stud or joist. For 5/8 that requires pulling as hard as you can on the knife for many times. It only takes a few minutes but it's probably the toughest job a utility knife will ever encounter. In the old days the blades would sometimes pull out of even the fixed blade knives but today they stay put. I would forget about any retractable knife.

wesg33
09-17-2004, 11:24 PM
I'm with Keith on the Stanley Fat Max retractable. It's the best of both worlds, the blade can be locked in place very securely, like a fixed blade knife, or it can be used like a retractable knife by loosening the thumbwheel. Blade changes are quick and painless, too.

Kgphoto
09-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Well, I tried the snap blade knife and it is too flimsy and sometimes those blades are hard to snap off.

I have also tried the Super Knife and the Husky knock off. I really like the stiffness of these two knives. It makes me lean toward the idea of a fixed blade, but not being able to close/retract it still bugs me. The cool thing about the Husky is that you can change the blade without tools almost totally one handed. It also has a knurled area in front of the blade to keep your hand from slipping forward. The bad thing is it still uses a heel lock, similar to a buck folding hunter knife, to close. So it takes two hands to close it safely.

The Super knife I have is the one that has the black rubber handle and it is only $10.00 and uses a liner lock that you can reach with your thumb, so it is easier to open and close. Unfortunately, it requires a small phillips screw driver to change the blade. This is an improvment over the original Super knife that takes an allen wrench to change blades.

Perhaps, the Super knife with a sharpening stone is the answer.

Has anyone tried or seen the Hanson knife that is a rasp, and holds the tape end while doing a running cut and is a key hole saw? I looked at the Stanley pocket knife and utility knife combination and it is too bulky. I worry the Hanson one will have the same problem. Otherwise it looks like a good idea.

Kirk

Dave-A1
09-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Not really on the tool subject - but since a few of you made reference to shooting...

A LOT of true sniper rifles, Marine, other military and police are semi autos. The best are based on the Springfield M1A/M14 National Match rifles.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=16

Time and tools change...

Kgphoto
09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Well the Hanson one came out and I have tried it. It is too bulky for me. Also, IMHO they should have used one of the sharper more advanced tooth designs on the saw blade. Since it is so short, it needs all the help it can get. The action is a little stiff and the double release(blade and saw) sticks a lot.

frenchie
09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Talk about reviving an old thread, Dave!

I agree with you, that RickA (who the heck is that, anyways?) is talking out his ass when he says:

Every marksman in the world uses a single shot rifle - none of them use semi-autos, not even bolt action repeaters.

Especially that last bit! I actually can't think of any modern single-shot sniper rifles. Anyone?

As far as drywall knives... I like the yellow stanley quick-change.

colevalleytim
09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I was wondering about the Speed Rocker-got it on sale not sure if it was worth the $ for a finish carp who only sometimes does rocking.

http://bearep.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=801

BTW, I use the quick change retractable stanley's but don't like then for sheetrock because the blace can get gummed up and doesn't retract. But for finish work, I need a new blade sometimes once a week or 6 times a day depending

As far as the sniper rifle, I think the Navy Seals use a single shot, armor piercing 50 caliper--saw it on History Channel.

Tim

Kgphoto
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I have used the Warner fixed blade with the rasp on the side. I like it as far as fixed bladed go, but still prefer the stanley quick change. A sharp knife is a happy knife. Changing blade quick, easy and often, makes the work easier.

I am going to try putting a sheet of sand paper on my bags, to clean off my blades between cuts to see if it helps. I read that somewhere.

Toolwhore
09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Stanley 199 fixed blade if you need to seriously cut something. Any retractable that fits your hand for anything else. I've tried them all, I own probably 20 different ones, I only use 2 of them. One fixed and one retractable, both Stanley.

BillWil
09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
I really like the Lenox fixed blade knife. It is white, at least started out white. I don't like any retractable knife - I can't make them work well over time, they get dirty and jam and if they don't jam the blade wobbles. I used to use the Stanley 199, but the Lenox fits my hand and is more comfortable.

As far as the snap blade knives I like the Fastcap and the Tajima, the Tajima seems to hold the blade a bit tighter. I use these to cut insulation and the like.

Toolwhore
09-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I actually can't think of any modern single-shot sniper rifles. Anyone?

Francois,

Being an avid hunter, and connoisseur of dead burnt beasts, with more weapons and ammo than the next 10 avid hunters I know put together, you cannot get more accurate than a single shot weapon. Multiple shot weapons are for back up (read; OOPS, I missed) or multiple targets that a sniper might encounter.

Pardon the thread drift.

frenchie
09-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Name one, Tom. A modern (last 30 years) single-shot sniper rifle.

Remember, bolt-action repeaters don't count.

BTW, if you didn't want to drift the thread, you should have PM'd me, instead; that's what everyone else did...

Tim - there's a single-shot version of the .50 cal the SEALs use; but the SEALs use a semi-auto.

markhoni
09-05-2007, 09:16 PM
About 12 years ago I bought a fixed blade utility knife from a carpet tool supplier made by Janser. The carpet layers called it the ''dolphin''. It cost me 11 dollars. It holds 15 blades in the handle, and came with a plastic holster to carry it in. When it finally wears out and I can't use it any more I'm gonna have myself a good cry. Wish I would have bought two of 'em because they don't make them any more. Or so I've heard.

Toolwhore
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Francois,

I was commenting on the accuracy of a single shot weapon, not saying that is what snipers use these days, which is what I was referring to in the last part of my comment.

StephenS
09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Precise and Accurate.. Easy to handle with less force

http://equalizer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=estore&Product_Code=LFO1483&Category_Code=04

Kgphoto
09-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Here's two links for Dolphin knives

http://www.carpetfittersshoponline.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=129

http://www.carpetfittersshoponline.co.uk/index.asp?function=SITEMAP

rockgod
09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Forget retractables - a sure sign of an amature. They will never be as stiff as a single shot. Why do you think marine snipers shoot arab terrorists over 1 mile away with bolt action rifles and not semi-autos?

-r
amateurs??works better than a fixed blade.safer too

rockgod
09-12-2007, 05:12 PM

-r

amateurs??retractables work great.each to their own.definatly not a sure sign of an amateur.how a guy carries his tools onto the job is a sure sign

tsbrewers
09-16-2007, 08:12 PM
hate to keep up an old thread, but just wanted to add the Barrett M107 is one of the best sniper rifles made and is a semi-auto. If I ever had to go to war, I would want a semi-auto, not a single shot. might be the reason I carry a retractable with quick change.

now, closer to the original subject, I wish one of the companies would make a knife that was reinforced right above the blade so you can beat on the knife with a hammer there. Not just a rubber pad like the stanley but a real "impact zone"

Brew

Greg Di
09-16-2007, 08:41 PM
hate to keep up an old thread, but just wanted to add the Barrett M107 is one of the best sniper rifles made and is a semi-auto. If I ever had to go to war, I would want a semi-auto, not a single shot. might be the reason I carry a retractable with quick change.

I agree completely about a Barrett.

now, closer to the original subject, I wish one of the companies would make a knife that was reinforced right above the blade so you can beat on the knife with a hammer there.

Brew

Why would you need to beat on a utility knife with a hammer? Just curious what the application is...

StephenS
09-16-2007, 10:36 PM

now, closer to the original subject, I wish one of the companies would make a knife that was reinforced right above the blade so you can beat on the knife with a hammer there. Not just a rubber pad like the stanley but a real "impact zone"

Brew

I believe the benefits of a semi would be far better than any downside of a single shot in any event when thier could be no clear descision for best suited choice.. My life and mission never seemed to be with great risk or fully compromised when i forgot to bring a blade change tool up a ladder however?

Brew,

Take a look at the link I pasted above. I used the knife while in the glass industry for years and it was my favorite for doing as you said... It worked out great for cutting down a stretch a of sealant/caulk between brick and metal on commercial store fronts among many jobs. I hit right before the blade cargo area it would travel fairly easily through the toughest sealants.

With a click on the blades link to the left, you'll see some funky blades utility blades which are not sold in many or possibly any stores.. The longer utility knife blades will bend which allows cutting in odd angles. I did a bend test and formed on into a U and it didn't snap. (you'll get why I did the test the first time you bend one).. Thier Great for cutting between glass and sash and flush surface type cuts... the blades can be sharpened too.

The knife is also useful for cutting insulation and following a straight edge as you can place your hand back from obstructing your view..

http://equalizer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=estore&Product_Code=JV1146&Category_Code=

The tool above is my contribution to the auto glass industry. FYInterst for any creative inventors...I invested a couple of thousand into a previous tool idea which I fine tuned to the precision of a single shot. The owner of the Glass Company asked me to send it to him and I delayed a couple of weeks to refine one last thing..In doing so, It opened the door for another glass guy who sent a tool with less ability than mine though it accomplished the same mission and he got the credit... I quickly learned from it...to take the shot when it's clear and without hesitation...When I got the idea for the above tool, I spent one day and $.86 on the proto-type and shipped it the same day..

tsbrewers
09-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I believe the benefits of a semi would be far better than any downside of a single shot in any event when thier could be no clear descision for best suited choice.. My life and mission never seemed to be with great risk or fully compromised when i forgot to bring a blade change tool up a ladder however?

Brew,

Take a look at the link I pasted above. I used the knife while in the glass industry for years and it was my favorite for doing as you said... It worked out great for cutting down a stretch a of sealant/caulk between brick and metal on commercial store fronts among many jobs. I hit right before the blade cargo area it would travel fairly easily through the toughest sealants.

With a click on the blades link to the left, you'll see some funky blades utility blades which are not sold in many or possibly any stores.. The longer utility knife blades will bend which allows cutting in odd angles. I did a bend test and formed on into a U and it didn't snap. (you'll get why I did the test the first time you bend one).. Thier Great for cutting between glass and sash and flush surface type cuts... the blades can be sharpened too.

The knife is also useful for cutting insulation and following a straight edge as you can place your hand back from obstructing your view..

Thanks, i will check them out.

Why would you need to beat on a utility knife with a hammer? Just curious what the application is...

There are just many times where you need to cut something and need a little persuasion. :) I have ruined 2 knives in the last couple weeks pounding on them.

Brew