PDA

View Full Version : wrinkles and waves

tim
03-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Why does my paper tape sometimes wrinkle when I am knifing off the excess mud?

I'm applying a thin layer of taping mud to typical joints and then embedding paper tape into the joint. Afterwhich I knife off the excess mud and leave the joint to dry. It is during this process that I sometimes create wave-like wrinkles. Try though I may I don't seem to have much luck smoothing out the wrinkled tape.

I'll come back later and apply a coat or two of general purpose to finish the joints. I prefer not to use the blue (finish) top coat because it makes for a terribly soft wall finish.

The wrinkles are making for additional or thicker coats of mud in order to cover/hide the waves.

What say you?

tnx

tim

Richie
03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Tim,
I'll take a guess. Is it possible that you are not wiping out enough mud when you bed the tape? Maybe it is not firmly in place and when the mud dries and shrinks a little it is causing the tape to wrinkle. Try applying more pressure when you wipe the joint. I'm probably off target so let's see what others say. You are sure it is not wrinkling when your wiping right.
Richie

Kirk
03-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Wipe from the middle to the ends. this should prevent the bunching up. You may also have too much mud on the wall under the tape to start with.

Kirk Grodske

alan ernstsen
03-19-2004, 01:05 PM
What Kirk said.

RW
03-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Wondering (aloud) if you're hand taping or not. I've found when I tape by hand that I tend not to think a whole lot about it - it's just so quick and simple, right? I get a run of 20 feet going and assume I got it all set good before I start knifing it with some pressure. Some little bubble in the middle - all it takes and you get waves. Pull it and redo it. It's a PITA, but easier in the long run than trying to hide the bump.

tim
03-20-2004, 10:34 PM
I am hand taping and I knife from the middle of a run towards each end.
Richie; the wrinkles ARE happening when I knife and don't appear to be at all related to drying/shrinking. Your input gentlemen,lends credence to my suspicion(s):I've too much mud on the wall to start AND/OR I am not dragging a sufficient amount of mud out from behind the tape when I knife the joint. If you've more wisdon to share please take a look at a post I am about to make about a seperate issue. And thank you for your help guys.

tim

Kirk
03-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Hold the tape with the corner of your pan as you start to knife the joint. Then make sure you let it dry before you put on the second fill coat. this I why I bed and fill with hot mud.

Kirk G

Myron Ferguson
04-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Embed the tape with a good stiff knife, After you are done with a seam tap the paper with your finger. The tape should barely push in at all and it definitly should not wrinkle up. The same test works for inside corners.