PDA

View Full Version : Thinning J.C.

Richie
03-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey all,
I am getting ready to tape and for the first time I am using a banjo to apply the tape and I bought the Columbia Taping tools corner roller, box, and angle head for the corner work. I was wondering how much the mud needs to be thinned for the banjo and how much to thin it to pump it into the corner box for the finish coat. An approximation of cups of water to a 5 gallon pail is appreciated. Any other tips would also be welcome as I have never used anything but a hawk and knife.
Richie

RickA
03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure it's that ez to quantify - but from anechdotal evidence - it seems the error here is not thinning enough. Also, mud varies in consistency.

Try thick pancake batter for taping & corner rolling.

-rick

Richie
03-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Rick,
Sorry it took so long to respond. Thanks for the reply. I've since tried my banjo the first time. I thinned the compound until I could pull the tape through without any dry spots. The first time I used it on a ceiling I pushed the tape in every 16in to 2 ft. Half way across the ceiling it fell down. I realized I have to run my free hand down the tape gently to make continuous contact with the ceiling. I guess with the weight of the compound on the tape it needs the continuous adhesion to hold the weight. After that little learning experience it went pretty smooth. Roll it out, wipe it down and your done. Very simple. The Columbia corner roller and angle head give you awesome corners in a fraction of the time. I have yet to use the Corner Box with the angle head to apply the finishing coat. So far though the tools are really impressive.
Richie
Richie

Richie
03-18-2004, 10:12 PM
I have to add that I realized that I do not have to run my handalong the entire length of tape when using the banjo. Instead as I pull out a length of tape I drop the banjo away from the ceiling surface. After pulling about 2 feet I slap the tape onto the surface which allows the tape to adhere to the surface along its entire length. Works great on walls too.
Richie

RickA
03-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Good job! Now you can answer the tape not sticking problems posted here. I've never used a banjo - a skill I should pick up for small jobs. If I'm too cheap to rent a bazooka, I just hand tape (but still get the corner tools).

The corner roller gives you a *HUGE* rolling start. Not only does it save gobs of labor, you get a far squarer corner than possible by hand (making future coats easier and the finish look better)

-rick