PDA

View Full Version : Skim Coat over fresh paint

John Atchley
03-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I just had a sub drywall a vaulted ceiling and tape it. They then painted it for me before I had a chance to look at it with lighting. There are fluorescents shining right up the ceiling and it looks terrible. Every tape joint shows. My question is, can we skim coat over fresh latex paint, do we need a bonding agent, etc, or should I just go over it with some 3/8 sheetrock and start from scratch and make him do it right this time.

JAKA
03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
John,

Are you the GC? What did you pay the sub per sq ft to do the job he did?

John Atchley
03-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Yes, I am the GC, and it is impossible to say what I paid per sq ft. This was to be one of those really easy small jobs, in an out in a week. Yeah, right. The guy actually was going to tape the place off, tear down the acoustical tile, rock and skim coat it, paint it, and clean up, all for a quoted price. I had pointed out the difficult lighting situation and we had agreed on a skim coat. What he ended up doing was troweling on compund and then troweling it off. This evened out the surface, but was certainly not what I would have called a skim coat. I am now calling this the "slim skim" method. So now all of the taped joints, particularly the butt joints, show up with the light shining across them I have to get this right by next weekend. It is a one ceiling job, so that might be possible, but I don't want him skimming over the fresh latex if it is going to come back to haunt me. I just read that latex dries quickly, but takes 30 days to cure. I'm thinking he will either have to tear it down and start again, or go over it with new rock and start again.

JAKA
03-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Sorry, I wasn't done asking questions and the it posted..... Anyway. Who hung the drywall in the first place? What was the time frame between the finish (drywall) and painting that you didn't see what was going on? It sounds like you plan on hanging 3/8" rock yourself and having the sub 're-finish', if something goes wrong after that, is the 'sub' the responsible party for cracks? Oh yeah, and who is 'we can skim over'? if you decide to skim coat over this job? Has the sub already admitted to doing faulty work or is this your opinion?

John Atchley
03-06-2004, 01:37 PM
The sub is a drywall man, usually reliable. He is the one who would redo. He saw it this morning with light on it, before he had received my complaint, and said that it looked "horrendous" and that he would do anything needed to get it up to snuff. So, at this point fault is a different mater. What I need to concentrate on is the best way to fix it. So... back to my original question about compound over fresh latex. Any ideas?

Steve
03-07-2004, 06:58 AM
If the latex is a flat paint, you can use compound over it. If it's one of glossy paints, you need a binder. What you should have done was skim the entire ceiling or use a great primer such as Sheetrock First Coat with three coats. As the light is shining on the ceiling, the light will show thru the paint, so you need to skim it or primer it real well with several coats. If you have a butt joint with the light shining on an angle to it, you will always see the curve..maybe not if you make it 7 feet wide.