PDA

View Full Version : drywall material estimating

William
02-23-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm in my last semester of college and we are testing on drywall alot of how much material is needed for the job and I have no idea how to get that figure does anyone know a formula explained in detail that I can use to help pass my tests using 4*12 sheets

Steve
02-24-2004, 06:46 PM
There is no formula! You need to take it off he plans or measure the job after framing to get an accurate figure. There is a formula that is only a good estimate for a typical house. Say you have a tyical house with a floor space of 2,000 square feet ( that's 1,000 sq. ft. per floor), multiply that by 3.70 and you get a good estimate of how much square feet of drywall is needed. That 3.70 factor is for a house with 8 foot high walls, make is 3.75 for 9 foot walls and 3.80 for 10 foot high walls. Then add on the square footage for a garage is there is one.

RickA
02-25-2004, 03:43 AM
3.70 is a reasonable guesstimate for 8' ( I go with 3.8 because I don't piece out doors or even some windows - and I usually screw up a sheet :) If the house is really cut up, you need a higher ratio (small house with lots of rooms). If the house is Jynormous, it's lower (so charge more per sq ft because they can afford it).

I always look at the plans or framing to decide how many sheets of 8's and 12's to order. You don't want to do the entire house with 12's only or you will be doing too much work and end up with alot of big butts.

--rick