PDA

View Full Version : One Coat

John Atchley
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I have just been on two projects where the drywall guy used what he calls a " one coat" system. This appears to be a base called Kal- Core, with a skim coat of lime(?) finish. Both project showed fine cracks within days of installation. I have been told by another drywall man that one coat is for the birds and that a two coat system is the way to go. Any reaction to this?

Steve
02-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Explain the system - this seems to me like a veneer plaster job? You mean to tell me that they coat the seams with one coat; how? Sprayed, rolled, by hand...please give details as I've never heard of this.

John Atchley
02-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Yes, I believe that is what it is. It is hand/trowel applied, just like what I would consider to be the final coat on a true plaster system, but without the scratch coat.

Steve
02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Intriguing! Whoever comes up with this type of system stands to make some money.

RickA
02-12-2004, 04:11 AM
I still don't quite understand. How can it be cheaper if it's hand troweled? I can run a ames box 10x faster thru a house (with one leg tied behind my behind) than the fastest hand jobber - and I've yet to see a hand taper who does quality work. ( I've heard lots of stories about great hand jobbers, don't doubt it, just never met one - and I've seen plenty of bad jobs by the hand job guys).

PROFORM SURFACER/PRIMER primes and does the skim coat in one shot, but I thought we allready talked about that.

PROFORM (http://www.nationalgypsum.com/submittal/09250-64.pdf)

Kirk
02-12-2004, 10:23 AM
There is a difference between a plaster job and a drywall job. You are comparing apples and oranges.

What is being described is a veener plaster job instead of lath and plaster, or button board and plaster. Plaster creates a harder "shell" on the wall. This technique has been around for a while, but they are constantly improving the products.

This system allows a faster plaster finish and without all the moisture that the standard thicker systems intoduce into a house.

Kirk

RickA
02-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks Kirk. It must be 3 times more per foot than conventional drywall. I know the high end crowd likes the plaster look.

rick