PDA

View Full Version : Better-Than-Ever Tools

Richie
02-03-2004, 02:48 AM
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has used these tool and what you think about them. I am not a full time rocker but have a full house job to bid. Like others my weak point is inside corners which really slow me down and never come as crisp as I would like. I don't want to spend $3,000.00 or more on a bazooka style system. I found this for $999.00 and figured it might be a good alternative. Their web site is below. If these tools are no good, can the corner tools of the bazooka style systems (tapetech, tapeworm, etc...) be used in combination with hand tape application (i.e. no auto tapers)? Maybe I could just buy the inside corner tools and keep knifing the rest. Besides if I do pickup a lot more drywall work I could buy the rest of these systems later. Thanks.
Richie

http://betterthanevertools.com

Steve
02-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Richie,

The Super Taper I heard beat out a team of guys using the bazooka in California. I don't use the inside corner tools, so cannot comment. If you do small work now, learn to do finishing by hand first and then when you have larger jobs you can progress to the auto tools...some guys like the auto tools some don't.

Richie
02-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Hey Steve,
Thanks a lot for responding. I have been doing what you said for years...rocking the small projects by hand. My corners look good but I feel take too much time and would really prolong a larger job (like the one we have now and the increasing number of basement finishing jobs that have rock on the ceilings instead of a suspended ceiling). Right now I am looking to speed up my inside corners but would like a system that can handle the flats and that I can add onto in the future. I am leaning toward getting the corner tools from the Columbia line of auto taping tools along with the Super Taper and then getting the rest of the Columbia tools over time. I just have to make sure that the tools will function properly if I apply the tape by hand using the Super Taper instead of their auto taper but following up with the Columbia tools. Again, thanks for taking the time to reply and any advise is always appreciated.
Richie

RickA
02-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Hand taping angles is a joke at best. Very difficult to get a well bonded, square angle that you can apply subsequent coats.

If the job is too small to rent a bazooka (or my favorite on small jobs, the miniZooka), rent the roller, glazer, pumps, angle box, boxes.

That bogus corner tool tells me to run.

--rick

Ames (http://www.amestools.com/taping_tools.htm)

Richie
02-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Rick,
Thanks. Obviously you are familiar with the auto tapers. Do you have an opinion on the quality of the Columbia line of tools. I am going to buy all thei corner tools and add to the set as i do more jobs. Thanks again.
Richie

RickA
02-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Sorry, I'm pal's with my Ames dealer. Years ago when they had a monopoly - I really hated to rent them and swore I'd buy my own set. I had a boss who had his own Ames set (he had a story but I'm sure he just reported them stolen).

Now that I do remodeling and drywall is just a small part of the job, I can't justify my own set.

Do you know what other Ames clones are out there? I talked to a taper who really liked his clone set but Columbia doesn't ring a bell.

Maybe you can be the guinea pig and give us all a report :)

Kirk
02-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Anyone else have a comment on these tools?

I contacted the company after hearing about it here and they are located in Canada. I am on the West Coast, so they don't have anyone servicing this area yet. They are sending me a video and I am trying to find a dealer who has a way for us to test them before we buy them. Either a rent to own, or just rental or loaner or a no questions asked return policy.

The next thing I asked for is a customer in my area who uses the tools I could interview and or go and see use the tools in the real world.

It looks like it could be a good thing for the small to medium taper.

Still waiting for the info.

Kirk Grodske

Kirk
02-19-2004, 03:36 PM
I just received the video. It looks promising. I especially like their corner tool. I would love to hear from someone who uses the tool that doesn't work for the company.

Kirk

RickA
02-20-2004, 04:14 AM
Have you seen the new ames corner and box tools (spring loaded assist in lieu of the old spring loaded resistance)? I pulled more muscles in my back running the angle box and flat box at high levels than any other tool.

I'd hate to quit getting free hat's at T's because your not renting Ames :)

--rick

Ames Taping Touls (http://www.amestools.com/taping_tools.htm)

Myron Ferguson
02-22-2004, 08:03 PM
I am going to send away for that free video and hopefully get my hands on a set of their tools.

Kirk
03-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Well it has taken some time, but I finally found a place to get a set of these tools.

I will let you guys know what I find out when I try them. I think initially it is going to be good for a small to medium job drywaller like myself. If you can believe the test, it is faster than using a bazooka, but I know it will be faster than hand taping and you can get into it for a about a third the cost of the other automatic tools.

It will be about three weeks before I will get the chance to use them.

Kirk