Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

painting over wrong paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting over wrong paint

recently we asked our Lowe's paint guy to mix some paint colors. we told him it was to be applied to new primed wood exterior doors on a barn. well, he gave us olympic interior paint. now their real paint expert says this paint will peel off after exposure to the weather. so they have given us replacement paint (exterior) and free Zinsser primer. Their advice was to roughen the surface of the wrong paint and apply the new primer and then finish coat with the right (exterior) paint. Does this make sense? Or will we be faced with peeling paint before summer is over?
    r. schweitz

Re: painting over wrong paint

I'd go to a real paint store and ask them.

Comment

I have been waiting for someone to answer this post because I was curious.

Leon, really hit the nail on the head, and although it don't answer your question, it does get you to think about "You get what you pay for" There is a reason why I have always dealt with the Pro paint store on the corner. Exerienced professional advice. Priceless!

Comment

Double ditto Gary - but I like to deal with the same paint store - one where I know the guys (and can trust their advice).

A fairly intellegent/knowledgable *expert* who pretends to be an expert and makes up stuff when he doesn't really know - is far far worse than no advice at all. You don't ever know when he's BS-ing you.

Which Zinsser primer?

http://www.zinsser.com/

Comment

As long as water doesn't get through the final skin of paint, it won't peel. That means that you better make sure all your joints are tight, and caulked and ALL surfaces of the door(6 or 8 if you count in side door knob holes) are painted.

Scuffing and then priming is good. Rmoving old paint and priming is better. If you didn't prime all the cut/trimmed surfaces orginally, then all the more reason for starting over.

Kirk

Comment

Working...
          X