PDA

View Full Version : Best one day repair

Ray Browne
01-19-2004, 06:39 PM
I've been doing a lot of patching for access panels and remodels recently as opposed to new work and am trying to decide on the best combination of muds. I've been using usg blue mix-yourself joint compound and occasionally the premixed patching compound for touchups, is there a better setup than this? I've heard good stuff about a Lafarge(I think I spelled it right) product as well as purple bucket usg premix. This is for standard sheetrock by the way, butt edges as they are all cutouts.

-Ray

Rick Anderson
01-20-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm not familiar with any of the joint compounds you list. For patching I use USG Durabond or similar *hot mud* - You can then coat over it with conventional drying compound 20 minutes later ( I use all porpose). If there are just a few patches on the job, I use a fan/heat to accelerate the drying.

If there are many patches, I use Durabond 90 (chemically sets in 90 minutes). Be sure to get fresh bags of this. There are other hot mudís like silver set (again USG), Fix All, etc.

I do dozens of patch jobs a year - the only tricky part is matching the texture.

My favorite trick for door knob holes - patch - then add 1x6" trim on the floor (put original trim over that) - then install multiple door stops.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your question.

DuraBond *Hot* Mud (http://www.usg.com/ic/products/compound/durabond.asp)

Mike Rooney
01-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I use USG Guaging Plaster mixed with USG green top. I hate DuraBond. Hate it!

Myron Ferguson
02-09-2004, 09:28 PM
If I am using a setting compound I prefer a sandable type.

RickA
02-12-2004, 04:16 AM
Myron
Your the expert here and I always look for your posts but you must have misread the title and question. Patching and remodles usually call for hotmud. I hate sanding, and hot mud is nearly impossible to sand - but on small jobs that you need to get 2 coats on quickly - you have no choice.

Mike, what's wrong with DuraBond? I've been using USG silver set for the past few years.