PDA

View Full Version : skim coat

Edwin Mageary
01-16-2004, 09:24 PM
wE HAVE 80 YEAR OLD HOUSE WITH WALLPAPER STRIPED HOW TO PROCEDE TO SKIM COAT. DO WE PRIME/ WHAT KIND OF PRIMER? SKIM COAT REGULAR MUD OR DURABOND

Mike
01-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Edwin,

First remove all the loose paper. Then I prime with a fast drying oil primer. Don't use latex as the primer/sealer because it will soak into the paper and loosen it up. Apply the first coat light then remove any loose paper again and spot prime those areas. Then you can float with what you are comfortable using. I use a 45 min setting type compound wet enough to blow in my hopper with a helper knocking it down with a 24" plastic spray shield as I go. A lot of people use rollers to apply to compound instead, but I can get a lot more on the wall and keep the mix thicker using a hopper, and it is faster.

I have never used this technique on plaster as we don't see that here in Texas. You did not specify. It may be easier to remove the wall paper from plaster, on sheetrock the paper cover peels off with the wall paper.

Edwin Mageary
01-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the info.
The finish is plaster, but there is some wallpaper left in spots.

Rick Anderson
01-20-2004, 02:40 AM
If can't remove all the paper - I rock over the wall with 1/4" or 3/8" board. I also remove all the glue. I prime with B-I-N White Pigmented
Shellac-Base Primer - don't let them sell you their water based product - as mike states it will blister the loose paper.

The alcohol base dries *lightning fast* as their literature states.

Mike - do you really use a 45 minute mix? I don't even use a 90 - maybe I'm being too big a chicken. I assumed with all that air going thru my hopper it would plug up.

I've used Durabond over plaster for years (but never over wall paper).

B-I-N White Pigmented Shellac (http://www.zinsser.com/PDF/Sweets/bin.pdf)

woodrow
01-20-2004, 05:33 PM
whats that pinkish/redish primer that is used on drywall or other surfaces that provides better adhesion for the skim coat?

Myron Ferguson
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
If you are going to apply a veneer plaster with or without a basecoat you will need to apply a bonding agent first.