PDA

View Full Version : difficult plastering

Chad Fabry
12-08-2003, 09:11 AM
I recently plastered a tower that I couldn't get drywall to, due to the circular staircase that led to it. It was my first true plastering job and even though I probably wasted as much material as I applied, it came out pretty nice. I'm doing the walls and ceiling that lead to the tower now and its kicking my butt. Not only do the walls circle around the stair but they also arch into the ceiling. Then the ceiling turns convex from the concave arch of the wall. It's like plastering the inside of a bowl and then plastering the outside. Any tips?

alan ernstsen
12-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Chad, consider using plastic scrapers. You can cut them to any radii, concave or convex. They're flexible, cheap and easy to clean. In my experience, there's no shortcuts, just use a lot of illumination and a number of fill and polish coats. best of luck to you.

John McElwee
12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
You might have success with a pool trowel. Get one about a foot long with a shank of only about three inches. It will flex to a radius ans let you lay it down pretty slick.

Chad Fabry
12-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll try both things. I tried a pool trowel, but I'm going to get one that's more flexible.
I was really hoping you'd say something like "you don't have to trowel it on; buy this awesome new spray on, self leveling product called MAKESEVENCHADLOOKGOOD."
Chad