PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Knives how long do yours last.

Bedros
12-07-2003, 07:54 PM
To the experienced finishers out there. how long do your knives last and tell me more how you take care of them sharpen them etc... I have seen marksman finishers sharpen their knives to their liking and feel of the knife. I started sharpeining mnine to get them nice and even and i round the edges to make them float a little better. It seems to take out the knicks and makes the finish look much better. I also tend to like a stiffer knife for bead and a smoother more flexible knife for finish coats. Any opinions and or teqniques are appreciated.

Bedros

Steve
12-10-2003, 04:54 AM
I scrape them over cement once in a while to keep the straight edge on knives. I went to stainless steel for all my knives except for the 8" because I use it for the first coat on corner beads and bend it slightly. They last a long time unless I loose them.

Kirk Grodske
12-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Stainless knives are the only way. Althought I like the "action" of a blue steel blade, they just rust too fast in the hands of the careless. I used to bake mine over a stove flame or my work light and they would last for years, but I got a lot of flack from other workers seeing me do that.

I always slightly round the corners so they aren't too sharp and cut the paper. I also use fine emery paper to not so much sharpen as take the burrs off the edge to make the mud easier to skim.

With four coats, I don't need to sand.

Kirk

Steve
12-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Hey Kirk!

I use fine emery cloth to sand with - it lasts sooo long and no scratching of the mud! My blue blade 8 incher is sharp as a new razor knife blade - that sheetrock paper keeps it sharp so I even shave with it ;-)

No sanding huh - lucky you! Ever try the Lafarge mud especially the beige colored one, that beige is like chocolate pudding cause it's MY-T-FINE, only problem when it's cloudy outside you can hardly see it. No pinholes whatsover and it glides on rock!

Kirk Grodske
12-10-2003, 07:34 PM
I've never even heard of Lafarge mud. Where do you get it? I am only familiar with USG and Hamiltons.

Kirk

Steve
12-10-2003, 07:49 PM
La Farge is available here in the East, and also Lowe's sells it. Guys who try it just luv it. The white one called Rapid Coat, dries very fast, no pinholes...the only problem is sometimes it even tends to start drying in your mud pan. The beige one..I swear it looks like soft chocolate ice cream or chocolate pudding..when working with it I want to take a lick from it. It does not dry as fast as the white one. If you ever get a chance to try them..do so.

Kirk Grodske
12-10-2003, 08:05 PM
We have Lowes and I will take a look. I use Hamiltons Hot Mud and I use the 5 minute all the time. In order to avoid the setting up in the pan problem, I use a hawk. If I am doing the final skim coats, I use soupy general purpose in a pan to control spillage.

Kirk

John
12-17-2003, 06:24 PM
In the midwest, La Farge is available at Menards.I have been using it for 6 months. Works great, dries quickly and you don't have to sand between coats.

CarpenterPJE
01-03-2004, 05:22 AM
I've been using La Farge from Menards for about 8 mounths. I'm done in two coats. When you tape you have to think like a finisher. follow all your flat work with a 12" knive on the first coat