PDA

View Full Version : How to work w/ premixed compound?

Jason Pharez
10-24-2003, 03:05 PM
I made a 16" square patch to a flat 1/2 sheetrock ceiling, and my boss gave me premixed all purpose to finish it with, as well as mesh tape. The JC looked like rubber, and when I tried to spread it out, there were clumps and I couldn't get a smooth finish. I am a beginner as well, so I'm seeking advice about how to work this stuff and how to finish smoothly in general.

charles
10-24-2003, 11:20 PM
You should use paper tape with all purpose, but for a patch it wont matter. If it was that lumpy after mixing it has probably gone bad or dried out too much. Try another bucket of jc.

Tom B
10-25-2003, 02:32 AM
If you're trying to use it right out of the bucket, that's the problem. Even if it says "premixed" or "ready to use" you still need to thin it down with water, and mix it real good. Some I know even add a small ammount of dish soap. They claim it makes it flow easier, but I don't use it myself.
The key is to thin it down until it spreads easier, but not thin enough to have it running off the knife.
Good luck. :-}

Chad Fabry
10-30-2003, 04:57 AM
6 ounces of the product called "Flotrol" per 5 gallon bucket of pre mix makes a huge difference. The consistency of the mud ends up like liquid silk and it can be feathered out to the point where little or no sanding is required. Flotrol is designed as a latex paint additive to allow spraying or easier brushing , and can be purchased at any paint store.

Mike
11-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Next time remove all the dry stuff from the sides of the bucket and the top of the mix first.

Or buy another bucket for $5.

Mike

Myron Ferguson
12-16-2003, 07:35 PM
The mud was old. With fresh mud all you need to do is give it a quick stir for hand taping.

RED
01-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Also ther is a product Called NO POCK ( which is gloified dish soap) on the market to mix with JC. It makes trowel work alot easier.

Red