PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Drywall

D.J .
10-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Dors any price drywall by the shhet ,if so how much is it per sheet in you area .I don't charge by this method but I just wanted to get an idea of the prices. Thanks Guys

Tom B
10-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Everyone I know in Portland, Oregon metro area goes by sq. ft. Include all areas, dont deduct for window, door areas. Anywhere from 80 cents to 1.25 s.f. depending on how hungry you are. This is material and labor from hang to finish. Extra for hand finishes. Also, more for remodel/patching. But prices vary by location.

RW
10-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Drywall pricing here (Nebraska) has been somewhat sporadic this summer. Some of the local outfits have gotten into price wars and the pricing was absurdly low for awhile there, labor only to hang and finish at 40 cents a s.f. But things seem to have gotten stable again at springtime rates, which range between $1.10-$1.25 materials included. That being said, few of the outfits are providing quality work. If you find the guys who actually cares what the finished deal looks like, you'll pay more, and the rule on remodels is time. I've done my fair share of drywall patch and repair work for flood damage this summer and I've been pricing things more like $4.25 per s.f. and the work just keeps coming. Bear in mind when you redo an entire basement that's been gutted from 2 ft off the floor down, there's no such thing as an uncut sheet.

double h
10-05-2003, 02:33 AM
Curious if these prices are for smooth finish walls or knockdown/orange peel textured walls?

Tom B
10-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Well......seeing as I HATE to sand, price goes up .25 cents/sf for smooth.

RW
10-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Double h - I don't think there's a textured wall in this state unless it's plaster and 100 years old. I'd call it a level 3 finish. Most of the new home guys expect the painter to finish their work for them. I had one house where I'm pointing out bubbles and divots to the guy, he's like "well, the painter carries spackle. He should be able to fix that."
Yeah, okay. Painter invoiced for the extra, that was deducted from the drywaller, and the aren't getting any more calls.

Tom B
10-08-2003, 03:06 AM
Almost everything here is either orange peel, or knock down. Or knock down ceilings, with orange peel walls. Guess it depends on the area.

Jon Korban
10-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Just finished a basement remodel here were my prices 6 a sheet to hang 6 to tape 3 to texture
going rate subcontract is 32 a sheet 4x12 and thats mat hang tape tex cleanup. hope it helps

Tom B
10-15-2003, 01:12 AM
Jon
So if I understand right, you charged 6.00/ sheet to hang it? So if the rock and nails cost 4.00/sheet you net 2.00/sheet to hang it. Then deduct your time driving,buying,hauling. Then deduct cost of disposal of scraps. Then deduct vehicle gas,oil,wear and tear. Then deduct for wear and tear of tools. (They do wear out, get lost, stolen) Are you making money, or going in the hole?
Just curious to know how long you've been in business? These are things called overhead. If you don't compensate yourself for that, you won't last. Also you hurt the legitimate businesses by undercutting their prices. In the long run everybody suffers.
Don't mean to rip you a new one Jon, this advice is for anyone smart enough to listen.

Tom B
10-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Jon
I must be tired, I left out cost of your license, bond and insurance. Hope you did'nt. :-)

Bedros
11-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Tom his price does not include the cost of the board. If you read carefully he states that he is charging 32 per board tape and hang which probably includes the board price and all materials. I think he is just charging 6 to just hang and 6 to finish and that does not include the price of the board.

David
11-20-2003, 11:01 PM
I pay six a sheet to hang to my employees (I think they are being well paid). I of course provide all supplies, tools, transportation.

I currently sub out for drywall finishers and feel I am paying too much. I'm in the Baltimore /Washington area, what would you say is the going rate for taping and finishing. I would add that the framers are VERY good and so are my hangers so I would say the finishing job is not any additional work due to poor framing and/or hanging.

I did try hiring finishers but their work was not great so I've been subbing out the work. The work is good but the painters still have to do a small amount of point up.

By the way, if anyone is looking for work in howard county maryland and you do good work at a reasonable price please let me know. Thanks!

Mike C
12-24-2003, 03:48 PM
So you want a top quality spackle job done for a rock bottom price? Time, quality, price - pick one - you can't have all 3.
When I hear someeone wants "good work for a reasonable price" I interpet that as they want a porsche for a yugo price.

david
12-25-2003, 12:11 AM
I never said rock bottom price. I'm willing to pay for good work and since the time of this posting I have found someone who is doing great work at a reasonable price and I am happy and my customers are happy.

Brad
01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
I am wondering when you guys say 6 dollars a sheet. what if you have a lot of small pieces and difficult cuts? and high ceilings and difficult places to reach and the framing is all screwed up? also, what about having to carry the sheets up steps an such?

David
01-06-2004, 06:53 PM
I pay extra for small jobs, I pay by the job not the sheet. Also, for difficult jobs I pay a premium. And hauling the drywall is extra.