PDA

View Full Version : poor mud bond to drywall

Reg
09-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Masked ceiling and walls around door I spray painted. When I pulled the tape (usual medium release), some of the paint and underlying texture came right off the drywall leaving it smooth. I've never seen well cured mud come off drywall like this-paint and all. What the heck happened? One drywall guy said the drywall should have been primed first. I know the job was USG product, applied skip troweled by a pro. I'm afraid if I start probing for more loose stuff, I'll end up remudding and texturing the whole ceiling!I'm the painter not the plasterer.

Tom B
09-05-2003, 02:33 AM
Typically you would prime before texturing. Was this a remodel, or new construction?
If it was remodel, a host of conditions can come into play.

Reg
09-05-2003, 11:47 PM
This was a remodel. There was previously acoustic ceiling material that was removed and easy sand skip troweled over the bare surface. One of the guys on another job said it was likely powder from acoustic ceiling removal was still present preventing a good bond to the new mud. Is this possible? If so, what the heck do I do now?

Tom B
09-07-2003, 03:24 AM
That is very likely what's happening, which is why i asked that question. The next question that comes to mind is why are you asking what to do now? The obvious answer should be to get the drywaller back out to take responsibility for HIS problem.
You see, the accoustic ceiling material will come right off, with water. Well........there is plenty of water in the mud before it dries. The moisture of the mud keeps the mud from adhering properly to the accoustic residue.
I'm surprised that a professional drywaller would not have known this. The best and probably only likely solution now, is to remove it all and start over.
I wish you all the luck.