PDA

View Full Version : plaster problems

Dale Nikula
08-26-2003, 11:12 AM
My company is building an addition that called for plaster walls and ceilings. The work was completed about three months ago. The painters recently applied two coats of latex based paint to the surfaces. They are currently working on the trim. We have started to notice "veining" and "alligatoring" of the wall and ceiling surfaces. It appears that this is occurring under the paint. There is no chaulking and the surfaces are solid. The addition has been heated and air conditioned. Neither our painter or the plasterer has experienced this problem before(of course!). I would greatly appreciate any input someone out there may have.

Sam Singer
08-29-2003, 04:39 PM
I would be very interested in what brand of plaster was used. We have switched from Diamond Plaster to using Structo-gauge mixed with lime putty. One of the benifits is that it is less affected by suction and drying conditions. Alligatoring, which I call checking is typically caused by rapid drying where moisture is lost from the plaster before it is fully set.

Fred G.
09-23-2003, 12:34 AM
In the 'old' days, you had to wait six months before painting plaster. Haven't tried it for 25 years, so can't offer much advice on todays materials. Good luck.

F