PDA

View Full Version : Feathering Corners

Derrell Day
08-09-2003, 06:32 AM
I am a finish carpenter and I routinely encounter a problem that I would like some input on. What methods are you guys using to overcome the concave feathering of mud from a corner bead. The problem is most exagerrated when I am running base or crown mold and I end up with a gap of sometimes 1/4" from the corner back about 18" because of the feathering of the mud finish. If the trim is pliable enough and is going to be painted, I can have the painter caulk the gap with no adverse effect. If it is a stain grade job and the trim is heavy and unbendable, the gap is a royal pain.
How should I neighborly ask the drywall guy to work with me on this?

Tom B
08-11-2003, 08:56 PM
I do remodeling and have caused myself this problem before. Yes it something the drywaller needs to be made aware of. Perhaps you can show him the problem after you attatch some trim, so he can see the problem firsthand.
If he does'nt change his procedure,you'll have to have a talk with the g.c.
Sounds like he's not making enough on the job, and is cutting corners (pun intended) to compensate. So.......if you want it to change you'll have to get tough.

Jim Mc
08-31-2003, 09:09 PM
Is the finisher using a hot mud for there first coat? I always use a hot mud (e-z sand quick set)
on my first coat over bead, it does not shrink, and fills the bead so there is no gap for the trim guys.

Myron Ferguson
09-02-2003, 09:15 PM
I think a lot of finishers are using a taping knife for the fill coat which will, if you are not careful, leave a concave surface. I like to use a curved (beveled) trowel because it leaves a slight crown. Finish carpenters have mentioned this problem to me before so I do take special care and widen out the compound along the base area.