PDA

View Full Version : Eggshell Paint as Primer?

Jim B
07-01-2003, 09:40 AM
I recently found out one of our main painting contractors has been using Eggshell Latex as a primer on new drywall. I was concerned about this practice as my understanding was that a proper drywall primer sealed and provided a proper bonding surface for paint.

The owner of this painting company assured me that this was a common accepted practice. I did find out that many other painting contractors are doing the same thing.

What has got me questioning this is the worry I had in the first place, and recently a customer complained that when their kids shot suction cup darts onto the wall, they pulled all paint down to the drywall off with the darts. This was, however, only a couple of weeks after the paint went on.

My painting contractor provided me with this letter from the General Paint store from which he buys most of his supplies.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxx,

Hi-Hide Eggshell Latex has been used as a primer under itself on new construction for years. The emulsions in Hi-Hide are the same type as those used in drywall sealer and are actually in a higher concentration, making the product a better primer than many of the drywall sealers available on the market.

We don't have any concerns over the suitability of Hi-Hide being used as a sealer on new drywall. As mentioned earlier, this is a common practice,

Sincerely,

xxxx
Sales & Service

--------------------------------------------------

I was just wondering if anyone out there has knowledge or comments to share regarding this practice, whether it is fine or not. I want to ensure that our customers are getting the best possible paint job.

Jim B

(I posted this in the Materials forum as well)

Richard_GL
07-06-2003, 06:51 AM
I have to be honest, primeing is the only way to go. Primers are that, paints are just that. Priming with an egshell leads to bonding issues and flashing problems, paint cures in 15 to 30 days and the gradual curing leads to flat spots in the finish where nails/screws were skimmed and joints that were floated. Ask any paint manufacturer , your warranties are now void without properly preparing your surface for painting. Just an FYI

Beezo
07-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Richard,
I am not sure I would agree with you on this issue. It seems that the manufacturer or some representative of the company has given him a written letter saying that it is OK to do this type of work. So it may be that their formula works that way just fine. I would think if that is their position then it may be allright. Isn't that what we always here is how companies get out of their warranties-"instructions were not followed." I have done some of the same thing on small patches-not priming but just using paint as a primer and them another coat of paint as a finish. In fact if you read on some of the primers such as Kilz or Bullseye I recall it saying something about it flashing thru on spot priming. I think it deadens the area so much taht you notice a difference if you spot prime with those products.

kevin wyatt
07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi Jim
I have no idea how the flashing and bonding issues are affected by using paint as primer but I DO know that I pay $53 for a 5gal bucket of Davoe Hi-solids interior primer that is super stuff. I pay $79 for a 5gal bucket of good quality Fuller O'brien eggshell paint. I paint all my interior drywall work, maybe 20 new houses a year.... This combination of primer and paint has eliminated all flashing problems and the finished product looks great
There is no way I would use paint for primer.
I see no advantage only more expense.
good Luck
Kevin

Jim B
07-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the rsoponses. Following is the response I got when I emailed General Paints through there website about it;
-------------------------

Thank you for your e-mail.

Yes - this can be used this way. Reading from our product data manual, it says that Hi-Hide eggshell can be used on new drywall. A prime coat, however, priming with the 51-010 sealer will promote an even finish and may reduce the number of coats.

We hope you find this information helpful and thank you for visiting us on-line.

Best regards,

C. Wilson
-----------------------------------------

It would seem that they aprove of the method but suggest that primer might do a better job. I am sure her reference to primer promoting a more even finish would refer to flashing.

Our painters are willing to do what ever we sould like them to do, they are just familiar with the using of eggshell as a primer as their most common method. They have done 100's of 1000's of fett of commercial & apartment building this way without any problems. I think the convenience of using the same thing fr prime and finish coat is somewhat more productive on a larger scale job.

Jim B