PDA

View Full Version : Inside Corner Help for Novice

Cameron
06-23-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm installing drywall for the first time and am having difficulties with inside corners. I used the paper-faced metal inside corner bead and managed to get it embedded nicely. The second coat went fairly smoothly, but now I'm having great difficulty getting that third coat perfect. Every time I drag the knife down the corner, I always mess up the other corner. I've tried a corner knife, but haven't had much luck with it. I'm also aware that you can do one corner at a time, but when I tried it, I still found I was messing up the other corner with that approach as well. Any tips or tricks would be most appreciated! Thanks, Cameron.

bill burns
06-23-2003, 08:58 PM
One side at a time, let it dry aand slow down a little. It takes practice and patience. I find it helps to thin the final coat a little and mix it well.
Also, it doesn't have to be perfect when doing the spackling, only after you sand it!!.
One other thing is to try both flexible and stiff blades. I prefer flexible, but lots of people prefer more rigid knife.

Kirk Grodske
06-25-2003, 03:29 PM
My technique is to use a corner knife on the first coat and maybe the second, if I didn't get a good fill. Then I butter one side of the corner and using my 12 inch knife set it vertically in the edge of the corner and then pull out. Clean the knife boths sides, slide down a little and repeat.
Once one side is done, I do the other. By balancing a clean knife on it's edge, you don't mess up the other side. For a final skim coat, I put a little mud on the edge of my 12 inch knife, dive it into the corner and pull out sideways as before.

I should mention, that I slightly round the corners of all my knives, before I use them. Just enough to take off the sharp corner. I use a belt sander with a fine grit.

I typically use hot mud for most of the coats and general purpose for the last and or second to last. That way if I have to sand, it is easy.

Kirk

JohnNH
06-26-2003, 05:55 PM
If you are doing one side at a time and letting it totally dry the only 2 problems I can guess is that you are using lite weight mud[plus3] or your inexpensive taping knife has a corner dragging.JohnNH