PDA

View Full Version : Skip trowel finish--need pointers.

Fred
05-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to match a skip trowel finish and need some pointers on what type of sand and how much to put in the pan as well as the consistency of the mix,i.e. how much water to add. I used joint compound with water added and about a 4 or 5 tablespoons of a fine sand (nonskid Paint addive sand) added to a full approx. 20 inch pan. The result was not to consistent and did not skip as much I'd like. I think perhaps the sand granule size was to small, or the mix wasn't right.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Fred

John McElwee
05-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Add approximately equal volumes of joint mud and sand. You might need coarser sand. Mix it with a drill so it gets mixed more thoroughly. Load your hawk lightly and wipe the mud onto the trowel rather than cutting it on. Practice on some scraps until you get the stroke and the timing of knocking it down if it needs knocking.
Let us know what you finally do and how it works.

Fred
05-22-2003, 08:34 PM
John,
Everyone in this area uses knives & pans. I bought one at Ames that had sharp almost 90 degree bend and had a long handle. the Blade was a translucent dark grayish plastic(lexan?).It seems to be more forgiving that the metal blades and worked well at knocking down the high spots for a spray on texture. Would the same proportions work with this system vs Hawk & trowel?
Fred

John McElwee
05-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Fred,
I think the tools you are used to working with are the best to use. The key is to experiment on some other pieces until you are satisfied with the match.
Are you trying to match a plaster wall with drywall?
Yes I think the proportions will work. You might try using half as much sand. You can always add more. Sand that passes through a window screen is probabaly what you want. Resist the temptation to add a lot of water then the sand. The sand doesn't absorb as much as you guess it will. The same thing applies with water. You can always add more.
Let us know how it turns out.

Fred
06-01-2003, 12:29 AM
John,
Thanks for the information. I'm not trying to match an existing plaster finish. This was a very common finish between 25 and 40 years ago in our area. Combined with Asbestos laden popcorn (yuck) ceilings. We either have the ceilings abated or intombed and skip trowel to match. I had some sucess on the the last project, but am convinced that it takes more "touch" to get the consistency that I'm after. Next time I'll get someone to do it who does it as a specialty.
Fred