PDA

View Full Version : Plaster or Drywall?

Ted S.
05-11-2003, 06:58 PM
OK this one's my house and I don't know if I should spring for the plaster skimcoat over blueboard or stick with the drywall.

What would you guy's do in your home?

John McElwee
05-12-2003, 11:45 AM
I would plaster it but I am a plasterer.

Dick Seibert
05-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Around here we do plaster on high-end, and drywwall on low to medium end.

Jay Deyo
05-16-2003, 01:53 PM
As long as you pole sand after, before you paint. Drywall is the way to go.

bob r
05-17-2003, 10:33 AM
go with the plaster.
its a better job ,harder finish ,less dust everywhere,done faster there is no waiting to dry for additional coats.I also see the cheaply done houses in dry wall.I understand this is a reginal thing.Here in R.I.we mostly use plaster.
If it was my house i would skim coat.I hate going into a house and seeing the seems when the light hits it just right. no matter how good a job they did sanding and taping i still see the seams

Sam Singer
05-21-2003, 04:52 PM
When you compare a level 5 joint compound (skim coat) to a one coat veneer plaster skim coat, there is no difference in how it will look painted, but the plaster is significantly harder. Our company offers only two coat plaster systems, because framing is never quite right. Two coat plaster sytems give you the same high quality finish coat, but also enable walls to be flattened plumbed and soffits leveled. We use structo-gauge and lime finish for superior finish. Our thinking is that if the customer cares about surfaces enough to desire plaster, it ought to be done right.

Ted S.
05-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback on this one folks, I will probably end up with the plaster.

Myron Ferguson
05-26-2003, 07:21 PM
If drywall and skim coat plaster are done properly either will look great. Remember structural movement and lumber shrinkage will effect either one. Make sure all conditions are right throughout the building process for a long lasting quality job.