PDA

View Full Version : Using iefs to replace drywall for interior finish

Robert Couchman
05-07-2003, 06:11 PM
I have a client who wants his third floor attic space finished. If 8' sheets of drywall can be manuevered up the circuitous staircases the physical effort will be significant. So my question is; can all or part of the eifs system be used in place of gypsum drywall tape mud wall finish? The fire rating of the assembly is of tantamount importance. But if I could carry sheets of foam up the stairs and fasten them to the framing, then finish with a sprayed on texture, well you can see my point.
I look forward to your innovative responses.
Robert Couchman
Ten Penny Opera Inc.

John McElwee
05-07-2003, 11:16 PM
I don't think this would be a very fire safe condition. A better solution is lath and plaster. you can get metal lath up the stairs or you could cut blue board into smaller pieces and get them up then plaster the wall. I the olden days gypsum lath was 16" X 48" and if plastered 1/2" to 3/4" it did not crack at the joints.
You can get the plaster up in buckets or pump it.

Ted S.
05-11-2003, 07:49 PM
You need a 15 min. thermal barrier over eps in a structure per code in MA. Check your code.

Scott R
05-12-2003, 07:38 PM
I faced the same dilemma on a job last summer, no way to get DW up the stairs.

What I ended up doing was removed a window and had the DW supplier boom it in through that window. The time involved removing the window and re-installing it was well worth it.

MikeS
05-12-2003, 07:59 PM
I did thae same as Scott - Except I removed a 16" x 5' sectoion of the rear roof & boomed in Drywall , studs Flooring & everyhing else we didn't need to carry up the stairs. 4x8's were impossible. I know i the NYC area they sell 4x6 to get up the elevators...

Mike S