View Full Version : Water heater? Knives or Trowels

04-22-2003, 08:20 PM
My first question is has anyone seen an electric heater that warms the water in your clean up bucket. One of our tapers had one and they put it in the bucket, plugged it in and in a few minutes the water was boiling hot. Haven't seen him lately to ask him where he got it and can't find it in any tool catalogs.

Second question is what does everyone use the drywall taping knives or the trowels? I currently use the knives and was looking at the trowels and somewhat look like they might be easier to skim walls with but not sure for things like corners and wondered what everyone else used. Although a lot of people are going to automatic tapers some of us still do it the old fashioned way and was wondering the benefits of the different tools.
Thanks for any help.

04-22-2003, 10:32 PM
sounds like the guy was using a heater that the tile guys use in their tub saws.... you can get them at ceramic tile supply houses...


Matt Clark
04-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Go to any farm supply store (Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet) and get the stock tank warmer. Keeps these water tanks from freezing in winter. About $15.

The link I included is close, but you probably need something a little smaller...

Pond deicer (http://backyardbirdwatcher.safeshopper.com/105/177.htm?233)

05-25-2003, 06:04 PM
you can go to any appliance store and buy a heating eliment for a hot water heater and put an extention cord on and it will do what you want I have been using one fo years. Use a metal bucket.

Myron Ferguson
05-26-2003, 06:48 PM
It seams like I always have a 6" knife and a 14" by 4" beveled trowel in by hand. I use the trowel as a hawk and to smooth the compound for second coats on seams and outside corners. I use a 12" trowel for third coats and skim coating. I guess it is just what you get used to as long as you are getting good results.