PDA

View Full Version : drywall at basement ceiling

Jef Forward
04-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Myron.....We are working on a basement finish with a drywall ceiling. In our last project, which also had a drywall ceiling, we ran 2x4 runners at 24" o.c. at the bottom on the floor joists (2x10 @ 16" o.c.)to maintain a true flat ceiling. The bottom of the 2x floor joists varied a lot.

My question is this....would 1x2 firring strips at 16" o.c. (perpendicular to joists) work just as well ? what are some advantages..disadvantages?

lower material cost...but increase labor time..thats probally a wash....

I will gain 3/4" in ceiling height (client driven)

Will the 1x firring offer more stability or less???

Any comments will help...

Jef Forward

Bob Black
04-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I just finished a job like yours and I used 1x perpendicular to the floor joists. The problem we had was a mix of solid sawn lumber and lvl's it was like a roller coaster, we did more shimming and adjusting than I care to rember. Then we used 3in sheetrock screws to get threw the rock,1x,shims,into the joist at the intersection. Pain in the butt

JohnNH
04-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Hey,just wondering,all you carpenters out there that read this sight,what would the cieling look like without strapping or firring?Sh%^#$Y is my guess.JohnNH

Bob Black
04-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Hey john Im not sure what ur saying here but let me tell you if I didnt try to make things better than they were I wouldnt of been in buisness for the last 30 plus years.If you play the cards as there dealt your gonna loose yooooou got to make them work for you!!!!!!

Myron Ferguson
04-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Have you even used the RC 1 furing? They offer sound control and do help flatten a ceiling or wall that is slightly out of plain.

Andy
06-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Jef:
I agree with Myron, RC-1 is the way to go... the little bit of flex between the flange that attaches to the joist and the flange that gets the board screwed to itis vey forgiving. It also stays stiff and straight so if you need to shim at least you know where.

Andy